Importing mp3 (of wav, etc) into GarageBand

Freiheit

Registered
I just got iLife '04 and have started testing GarageBand. I like it, but I've read (in the help file I believe) that you can import mp3 files into it by simply dragging them from Finder into either an existing Real Instrument track or a blank space in the tracks window. It doesn't work for me, though. I get a brief popup window saying something about "importing..." which disappears and leaves me with the same thing I had before I tried.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.

Dent du Midi is a freeware app that will allow you to import Midi files.

From Apple's GB tips

Adding an Audio File from the Finder

You can add a loop or other audio file (in AIFF, WAV, or MP3 format) to a song by dragging it directly from the Finder to the timeline. You can drag the audio file either to a Real Instrument track or to an empty area below the existing tracks.

When you add an MP3 file by dragging it to the timeline, the file is converted to an AIFF file which is stored as part of the song.

Agreed, that is the text I read. However it doesn't work when I drag my mp3 files to GB as specified. I know the mp3 files are "safe" (ie. not protected in any way) because they're my own mp3 files of my own compositions. They are otherwise standard CD audio tracks converted into mp3 format.

PowerMac dual G4 1.25GHz MDD
1GB RAM
MacOS X 10.3.5
GarageBand 1.1
80GB hard drive with about 60GB free

I had the same problem with mp3 files not importing from the Finder... However, once I imported the mp3 file in iTunes, I could successfully import it into GarageBand from there. Have you tried that?

What, just drag the files from the iTunes list to GB? Or did you import/process them in iTunes and then you were able to drag them from the Finder to GB? Thanks.

Back