importing mpeg into iMovie

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenisz

Registered
Hi,

I was able previously to import mpeg video from my Sony Cybershot into iMovie and work with it.
Somehow today, I get a message saying "Can't open file. Skipping it and continuing."
I tried all kinds of settings in Preferences.
Recently I reinstalled my Panther OSX. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Would be great if someone could point me in the right direction here..
Cheers,
Tom

Look dude, I tried importing mpeg movies that previously worked; older mpeg. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. I don't have Cybershot software installed by the way. I just plug it and copy the files directly. (that's what's so wonderful about Mac isn't it..)

After googling about a bit, I read that iMovie doesn't accept mpeg's and that you need to convert them via this and that to AV first.
So I'm confronted with a little mystery here, since I have worked with iMovie before, using mpegs.
The result can be seen on Youtube if you look for "Sasshay".
Now, my own theory is the following.. I had my computer fixed and reinstalled by Apple about a year ago. I've used iMovie succesfully afterwards. But I seem to recall it was called iMovie HD. Is there such a thing?
Anyways, I reinstalled my whole shebang recently and after, iMovie doesn't take mpeg's anymore.
Could this be true? That Apple installed some other version of iMovie that does take mpeg's?
Anyone have an idea?

I too have a Sony Cybershot and had the same problem. But last night I was able to import them into Imovie if I pulled them straight from the camera into Imovie. Previously I was importing everything directly into Iphoto first. Then, I couldn't do anything with them. So, try that: import the movies directly into imovie from your camera.
Good luck!

I too have a Sony Cybershot and had the same problem. But last night I was able to import them into Imovie if I pulled them straight from the camera into Imovie.
Two days after googling and converting, demuxing, remuxing files i found this post THANX MAN, IT WORKS!!!!!!! Finally thanx to you I've found the way to edit clip into iMovie, the strange is that my camera (Sony DSC-T33) isn't showed on Apple iMovie Camera compatibilty: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290?viewlocale=en_US BUT WHO CARES!!!!
Here is the exact procedures I've used:
Connect the camera via USB DON'T repeat DON'T turn it on yet!
Open iMovie
Click on "import from camcorder" under "Archive" menù
The iSight camera window will open, let it stay.
Turn the Camera (wich is into is dock) on
IMovie will recognize the camera and will show you the files wich are on the camera and will ask you if you want to import it, click yes, sit down and wait.
JOB DONE!!!

Usually, iMovie does allow the import of MPEG files. However, if MPEG (MPG) files are muxed (multiplexed) MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video, iMovie will refuse to import the MPEG (MPG) files. Then you need to use some converter software to convert MPEG to iMovie compatible format for use in your iMovie project.

Just google search Step by Step Guide on Import Muxed MPEG-1/ MPEG-2 into iMovie, you will find as many solutions as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back