Importing OSX Opera bookmarks to WinXP?

nuubie

Registered
So I backed up my Opera Bookmarks rigorously in case the Mac died. Well it died. And since I'm using a WinXP machine for the time being I'd like to bring those bookmarks over to the PC. The problem is they are in a .hqx format and I don't know how to extrat it. I tried WinRAR and 7zip without success. Of course I realize now I should have saved them as a HTML file...:) Then I think I could have brought them over with no issues. Please confirm if possible. And if you have any ideas (both my Macs are dead for the time being) on the bookmark thing, please let me know. All the other files are ok - text files have some glitches but most are fine. The ones with glitches have to be resaved in RTF format. If course the least important (.avi) play perfectly!

Yes, as MisterMe said, Stuffit Expander will uncompress the .hqx file and reveal with bookmarks file that is inside the .hqx compressed file. The .hqx file format is a compression format similar to .zip.

... The .hqx file format is a compression format similar to .zip.
Actually, .hqx is not a compression format at all. It is the extension used for BinHex, a scheme to preserve the data and resource forks of binary Macintosh files when stored on flat file systems or when transported using 7-bit communications. Like UUencoding, BinHex codes 8-bit binary files into a 7-bit (ASCII) data. It was common practice to Stuff Macintosh files and then to BinHex them before posting them to FTP [or other] servers.

Actually, .hqx is not a compression format at all. It is the extension used for BinHex, a scheme to preserve the data and resource forks of binary Macintosh files when stored on flat file systems or when transported using 7-bit communications. Like UUencoding, BinHex codes 8-bit binary files into a 7-bit (ASCII) data. It was common practice to Stuff Macintosh files and then to BinHex them before posting them to FTP [or other] servers.

Thanks for the correction. I always knew that it was required to use BinHex when uploading older Macintosh applications or documents to the web (or anywhere else), but I had forgotten that it was due to the forks preservation. Much appreciated. ;)

Back