Importing Quicktime files into iMovie 06

chanrahan

Registered
I cannot seem to import any Quicktime .mov files into iMovie HD 06. I'm running the latest version of Quicktime Pro, version 7.04. When I drag a Quicktime clip to an iMovie project, the import begins, but fails once the import progress bar is almost complete with the error message "Error During Import The file could not be imported: unknown error".

I've even tried exporting the files from Quicktime as something else, such as .mp4 or DV. When I attempt this, I receive a Quicktime error -50.

My searches on this issue have turned up nothing. I suspect that Quicktime is causing a problem, but since the error messages don't provide much information, there isn't much I can search for. I'm hoping that someone here has either heard of this problem or experienced it before

I'm running OS X 10.4.5 on a dual 2.3 GHz powermac.

Thanks

Chris Hanrahan

Hi, I'm having the same problem and am wondering what you found out about how to import QT files into imovie. Did you figure it out?

Thanks,

Beth

rename your converted file in Finder .. avoid any 'special' characters as  ☜ ©, blanks, 'signs' | \ …= dots ] ... just letters... and this should help it to import into iMovie

Hi,

Since posting this I've figured out that file size was the problem. imovie won't import .mov file that are over a certain size, I think it was 2 gigs. (I was trying to export a 1.5 hour movie out of Avid as a .mov reference file, then re-import it into imovie so I could add chapters and do the DVD authoring from there). Once I split my movie up into 7-minute chunks, each exported .mov chunk imports into imovie just fine!

Back