incorrect file size usb memory stick

Jiggy1965

Registered
I've noticed something: when I use 'view info' on files on my usb memory stick, the file size is much bigger than when I use it on the same file on the desktop.

For example: I've got a gif file on my memory stick. Using 'view info' on that file it says:
Size: 32 KB on drive (7.129 bytes)

When I copy that same file on my desktop it says:
Size: 8 KB on drive (7.129 bytes)

Which makes more sense.

Why does it give 32 KB for a 7.129 bytes file when I vied the info on that file on a usb memory stick? It does that with all files on usb drives. The 7.129 bytes in this case seems to be the true file size, but for some reason 'view info' adds a significant file size to it. Can anyone explain this?

Your memory stick has a different file system format, where the smallest block size used by the file is 32KB. The format is probably fat16 or fat32
Your hard drive would be formatted for Mac OS Extended, and has a much smaller block size.
You can reformat your USB stick with your Disk Utility. Choose to format it as MacOS Extended. That should then show files taking up the same amount of space as those same files on your hard drive.
The disadvantage for that is that USB flash stick will not be easily usable on Windows, if you occasionally use that stick on other computers running MS Windows.

Back