Incurable Kernal Panic and Clean Install/Restore Questions

Scottfab

Helpless Mac Newbie
I have kernal panics that seem to revovle around Safari and Mail. They only happen under my user name, which just happens to be the admin. I followed the FAQ, nothing helped. So unless someone has a drastic idea, I thnk I'm probably going to clean install. I don want to, but I will if I must. Luckily, I have everything saved to an external hard drive with Backup 3.

Which leads me to my next problem: If I restore everything completely, what's to say the panics wont return? The backup is very recent. The panics have occured today, the backup yesterday, and nothing I can think of has changed. So it probably isnt in my best interests to move everything. Clearly, I want to restore downloads, applications, movies, and music. But what about my preferences? And would software really work without all the application support folders that come with it? What's safe to restore and what isnt?

Either way, I'm going home saturday, and I'll have access to an Apple Store then, so is it worth my while to wait? I dont know how much they can help; apple care tech support was useless. And since a new user doensnt have the problem, I feel like it may be curable with a less extreme solution. Does anybody have a possible idea?

You could try to get your user data to this new user and if it does not panic there, you could just migrate to that user.
So .. you'd need to move (or copy) your folders from your home folder to the [HD] / Users / Shared folder. Then you can access them from the user you just made. AddressBook data etc should be safe to bring over to new location so you don't lose your data.

Can you think of what happened before this problem started to occur?
Do you have 10.4.2 or 10.4.3 or other running now? What do you normally do just before the kernel panic?
Do you have anything extra installed to your Safari or Mail, such as any plugins for encryption, AcidSearch etc?

Back