InDesign 2.0, OS X and the funky font salad

holmBrew

Official Volunteer
I can across a funky behavior in ID 2.0 in OS X. I converted a simple Quark doc into an ID dco and it was all ok. A few tweaks, but that is expected.

I made the edits, and printed it and got some funky kerning in the printed version. Turns out that the mix of fonts that I had: Gill Sans.dfont (that ID says is a True Type font) and Minion (that ID says is a Type 1 font), was the cause of the problem.

So I used all Type 1 versions of the font and it worked out.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Know this one, try to get FontReserve / Action WYSIWYG / ATM Deluxe steady ready to go on your Mac.

I was happy to see that these two programs will continue to exist for OS X. I will miss ATM: especially the font menus from which you can choose specific fonts. According to the good folks at diamondsoft Apple has not provided a way for developers to add this functionality. Furthermore, Adobe is not releasing the code behind ATM.
One hopes that this is something that will be worked out in the future. However, it's the little things like this that add up to prove OS X's lingering immaturity. There are so many intances of going back to go forward.
Still looking ahead....

Back