InDesign CS is not recognised as a file format on my new G5

insight_rw

Registered
Hi all,

Im having major issues on my new G5. It is my work machine and I store thousands of ads on a PC server. Since I only recieved and started up my mac for the first time yesterday, I only realised that I cannot open any indesign files, as it comes up sayin "Unix Executible File" in Finder instead of 'Indesign document".

One way around this i have found is that (because i have saved all my ads without the .indd suffix) I can simply re-name every single file and then my finder recognises the file as an Indesign document.

Does anyone know how I can permenantly set finder to recognise all insdesign documents? I have already tried to set this through 'show info' when you click command i??? Or should I re-install OS X myself to fix this drama.

Please someone let know as soon as possible, what i need to do to get up and running, as i am now having to revert back to using my old G4, which is murder) !!!!

sounds like you've already tried this, but when you go to Get Info on one of these files, have you set the "Open With" application to InDesign, then clicked the button "Change All" to set all files to be accociated with InDeisgn?

Otherwise, you could create an Automator action to append a ".indd" extension to all files passed to it. (needs OS X 10.4 tiger).

It looks like you'll have to do a batch rename on the files and save any further files with the extension on. It's the file properties that it's picked up from being on a PC that causes the problem.

If you archive the indesign files in a zip, hqx or sit file on the server, when you retrieve them and unpack the archive, they will all be just fine inside.

Hope this helps

insight_rw, if would like I've made a little Automator app that will allow you to select the files in the Finder add a .indd extention and place it on a folder called "Converted" on your desktop. Just create the Converted folder on your desktop and select the files to convert. This may not work for you because it will copy the files to your desktop but I don't know the path you use. Let me know.

I have the same problem. We just set up 3 identical computers all running osx 10.6.8 and CS5. We have many InDesign files without the .indd. Two of the machines show the correct icons and open the files just fine. The third computer shows a unix exec icon and doesn't know how to open them. I used the open with and then change all solution listed above, and it works, but creates the additional problem of trying open any file without an extension in InDesign.

If anyone knows how to get the correct icons and open it correctly on InDesign files without the .indd extension, I'd like to know.

Back