Indesign CS3 won't update links, nor place updated graphics from shared drive

Morgan19

Registered
I'm running OS v10.4.10 with Indesign CS3 v5.0. My files are stored on a (Windows) shared network drive.

The problem is two-fold.

1) Links aren't updating automatically when working off the the shared drive. If I have a document with a linked graphic, then update the graphic in Photoshop (for example), Indesign does not pop up the little yellow alert arrow in the Links palette that indicates an updated graphic like it normally would.

2) On top of that, let's say it's the same situation as above: there's a placed graphic, I update and save it via Photoshop, and then go back into Indesign. Indesign hasn't notified me that the link needs to be updated with the yellow arrow, so instead I try and do it manually: I click the linked graphic, do an apple+D to place it, and place the same file (that has now been updated and saved in Photoshop). Nothing happens. The graphics doesn't change: it still shows the old verison, despite me knowing that I saved a newer version in Photoshop. To get it to show the newer version, I first have to delete the linked graphics completely, then place the exact same file again: then it shows the newest version.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is incredibly frustrating and not at all conducive to working efficiently. The really goofy thing is that if I move my files to the Mac's desktop, everything works fine: Indesign once again shows the modified link icon in the Links panel, and I can place graphics normally. I've tested it with Indesign CS and that appears to work as well, but I really need CS3 to work properly as our company used that exclusively now.

I'm positive that working from the shared drive has something to do with this hiccup, but I'm just not sure why. Any ideas?

Thanks,
m19

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess here. This is just conjecture:

Macs and PCs have inherent differences in the way their file structures are built. Mac files have two directory forks and PC files have one. This is the first issue. You're trying to go across platforms for your daily work. Generally, I never work on a server, only back up to it -- makes for faster file performance and eliminates the issue you are talking about.

Second, the pc server could be not assigning you the correct permissions to your files thus blocking your ability to access them, hence your preview image remains for the old file even though you try to relink to the updated one. Have you checked with your IT department to make sure you can access the files in your directory? You may have only Read/Write priveleges there.

Just some thoughts.

I've had the same problem with links not updating, except that all the files (actually, a single linked Illustrator CS3 file, in this case) are on my local MacBookPro drive.

My solution is to save, close, and reopen the ID CS3 document after making changes to the linked file(s), at which point ID will offer to update the "modified" links.
All is well then.

It's maddening, but at least the job gets done.

PF
http://slowprint.com
letterpress typography & design

Back