indexing is a "no go"

HurleyGirlie

Registered
I am the admin of my computer, and my "home" will index. but my hard drive won't index so i can't look up stuff under "contents". its says "can't index this volume. add folders and index them." okay well . . .um theres a bunch of stuff in my hard drive and it still won't index. i checked my privileges and its "owner - read and write" "group - read and write" everyone - "read only" and i'm wondering if my problem is the "everyone" priv. i will not log under root, tried that and my computer went nuts and totally crashed. im sticking to admin because i really dont feel like paying $200 again just to get my computer up and running (yeah, it was that bad.) thanks!

You can't index the first level on a disk in sherlock. You have to add the folders outside your home folder you wish to index.

What exactly are you trying to index? If you wanted to index all the readme files I would add Applications to your sherlock by "add folder" in the find menu. This will extend the time required for indexing but if that's what you want to do then go for it.

i'm trying to index my hard drive, the "localhost". so that i can search by contents. you know, search for everything .mp3 or whatever. does anyone else have the same problem and did they fix it? see i have a hard drive (my apps, system folder etc.) then i have my home folder, which is basically just junk. i keep everything i need in the localhost. there arent any apps or anything worth while in my home folder.

The way I understand it is that since Mac OS X is a multi-user OS you can't index the entire drive because if you could, you would be able to find and view items in other users' directories. A drag for those of us who are the sole users of our systems, but it's a security "feature".

Originally posted by testuser
I looked at File Freak, but I did not see any information suggesting that it would search the contents of files.
Oops, my bad! :(
I saw that bit about finding "everything .mp3" and just figured that file names were the concern.

Back