iNet, iSurf, iBrowser, Apple Web Browser?

owaters

Registered
After all these years......years and years and years.........

Apple have still not introduced a web browser!

Apple took the bigger step and created a Mac designed and aimed for the web, introducing the iMac. Still no browser!

I am just interested to know why if anyone out there knows?
What do you think the browser should/would be called?
What enhanced features over other browsers should it have?

Here's my take:

Apple hasn't introduced it's own browser because ... what would be the point? Web browsers are very finicky things that have to work perfectly in order for people to use them. It would take much more time away from Apple's software people than it is worth.

Not only that, but there are many other capable browsers out there for OS X. Mainly, Chimera/Navigator which is what Apple itself seems to using and pushing.

to be fair, apple did try their hand at one with cyberdog. but themacko is right. what's the point?

if you put it that way.. what's the point in iTunes (Audion is good enought and there are plenty more) what is the point in iPhoto..???(iView media pro is good enought..)
IF apple makes Apps that are free is to drive people to use Apple even more... why are we all using iTunes?? cause is the best... cause it works cause it' free cause it's APPLE

same reason for an iWeb why would Apple make something like that?? cause it would be the best cause it would be free cause it would be Apple.... here are the reason my friend....do NOT underevaluate anything...we re talking about Apple... we re talking about something that Think Different from people' expectations.... and people DO NOT believe in iWeb (or i what ever) that is one more reason for me to believe there is such app under dev

and people DO NOT believe in iWeb (or i what ever) that is one more reason for me to believe there is such app under dev

Uh, you're not making any sense. Since people don't think that iWeb is coming, it will come?

Since people don't think they can fly, they actually can?

Apple is not stupid enough to jump into the browser scene. Netscape, an industry veteran, is having serious problems. IE is very, very competitive. How do you suppose Apple could fight such a behemoth? Let alone the fact that entering the browser market would seriously hinder Apple's relationship with the Mac Business Unit at Microsoft.

To quote previous posters, there is no point. None whatsoever.

It's one thing to buy an existing piece of software (Casady & Greene's SoundJam MP) and to turn it into an Apple-branded player app than to create a web browser that must constantly keep up with W3 standards, plugins and security issues.

Apple clearly needs to get on the ball with web browsers. Their "offcial" web browser, IE, is lagging. Microsoft is not giving it any priority, and the Mac platform is suffering as a result. Look at all the bad press OS X got (and still gets) with regard to web browsing. Even people who switch from PCs to Macs will still tell you they find web surfing on the Mac a sub par experience to Windows, mostly due to speed.

Apple could go the route of developing their own browser, but that would really drive a wedge between Microsoft and themselves, one which they don't really need now that there is no 5 year agreement for MS to continue to develop Office.

Instead, Apple has an alternative option.

It can hire developers and contribute to the Chimera project, and it can do it completely under the radar screen. With Chimera being open sourced, Apple can contract developers to work on it, all without officially endorsing it or snubbing MS. When Chimera finally reaches completed status, Apple can include it in the OS X installation alongside IE, but not selected as the default browser, much like Navigator was inlcuded in OS 8.6-9, but not installed by default.

Apple really needs to keep it's options open. Everybody worries about what would happen if MS killed Office for the Mac, but what's more likely is that MS ceases development of IE for the Mac first. MS derives no money from IE for the Mac, and it takes up enourmous resources. Apple needs to be prepared for the inevitable and keep the other players healthy and ready to pick up the slack of IE.

Back