Inexpensive kid's camera compatible with OSXand iPhoto?

riddle

Registered
I'm starting to research low-end digital cameras (about $100 or so) for my ten-year-old. I understand that OSX compatibility can be an issue for some models in that price range. Any success stories to share or models to recommend? Thanks.

There's a list of ALL supported camera models at http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html so make sure you check against this.

At the moment, you can pick up several decent, well built cameras for under $150US including some that are as high as 4 megapixels, from name brands like Kodak, Olympus, Samsung, etc. Don't get caught up in the megapixel hype ... try to focus more on build quality and ease-of-use as this will be far more important for the kiddies.

Also remember to pick up some decent rechargable batteries - you'll need them.

I say you can't beat the Kodak system for durability and ease of use. Even the the lower end point-and-shoot models are quite servicable. Suggestion... if you spring a few bucks for the Dock you have a charger, instant USB connection for uploading (which means pushing a single button on the dock initiates your upload) as well as a handy and secure place to store the camera. Mine is compatible with iPhoto (I think they would all be so).

The included Kodak software they supply for Mac was written for the platform. I've seen several updates since mine was new and it's pretty darn good in and of itself, if you don't want to use iPhoto.

I found a Kodak CD33 on sale (for $89 at Fry's) and it worked great with iPhoto right out of the chute. I guess the Mac compatibility issues are for very low-end no-name cameras.

Back