Inexpensive Webcam For Mac?

ksplitt

Registered
hope this is appropriate forum. what is a good inexpensive mac compatible webcam, and best sites to check online? i have powerbook G4 titanium,
400 MHz, 640 ram, 10.3.9 panther OS. i don't know a lot about them, i live in thailand, my friends are in the US and probably using windows and i use Yahoo Messenger. thanks kurt

A lot USB cams are supported using the drivers from macam a freeware app.

Here is a list of it's supported cams >click me<

The devolopers are pretty good at keeping up to date as new cams come out, or are pretty reliable at takeing request if a particular cam is not in their supported list. So I don't think you'll have any trouble of getting the drivers.

I bought a second hand NVC cam which works well but needs to be in a well lit up area, so maybe that is something you will need to consider when shopping for a cam.

As for needing it for MSN as you think a lot of your friends will be using. Mercury is a good MSN client for the Mac that supports video through MSN but uses a bit of intensive Java or another is aMSN which might suit your Mac better.

I hope that was helpfull for you :)

I have a panasonic PV-GS500 video camera, it just worked as a webcam with iChat when I plugged it in-I didn't have to fiddle around at all. I'm thinking most modern camcorders can do this. And standard def ones are cheap now, around $250 new for one good enough for a webcam. Used even cheaper. The iBot also works, if you can find one. But you need a separate mic for that, as opposed to the camcorder which uses its own built in stereo mics.

Back