Initial WiTunes thoughts

Lazarus18

In debt medical student
So I'm trying out iTunes for Windows (hereby dubbed WiTunes) at work, and it sure seems familiar, but a few things have jumped out at me right away:

1st, I can't connect to the ITMS due to our firewall. It is all just web based and sent over port 80 I suspect, but I don't see any way in the preferences for iTunes to enter the proxy info needed. On a Mac that is all done in the Netowork section of the System Preferences.

2nd, playback is choppy. I am not sure of the reason for this. It could be a fault of XP, or all the Novell crap that is installed to constantly check for virii and whatnot. I have noticed that this machine is very slow to respond to things like right clicks on files and such, so I'm not sure to blame WiTunes yet.

3rd, the install is pretty nice. The first time I opened WiTunes it had already found the library of someone else here on campus who was sharing. Sadly he turned off his computer before I could finish listening to Elv1s, but it was fun anyway.

2nd : It's not iTunes - it plays smoothly on my Win2K PC in the livingroom, both playing files locally and streaming music from my Mac in my home office. Funny thing is your PC beats mines specs. So it's either XP or something wrong with your PC. :p

Aack, you offend me sir! My PC is a Linux box 90% of the time! :)

I am at work, but the computer here does have good specs. 1.7G P4 I believe. I suspect it's all the constantly running software like Novell that's doing it.

I also found a way to put in the proxy info in the control panel, so I can get on iTMS, but for some reason it's letting me browse and listen but not buy. Could again be a firewall issue on our end, and probably is.

i tried iTunes on virtual PC and apart from the resizing it worked fine.

i read a few comments on osnews.com and 90% of the ppl are more than satisfied with the app, and they say its quite speedy :)

Well, I'm using Windows full-time until my new PB arrives, and I can truly say this is making my days better. Doesn't look as native as the Mac version does, looks more like it's a freak of design (doesn't fit with the OS), but it has all the functionality I wanted and then some :)

Thanks Apple.

I've just Emailed all my PC owning friends the link to the download and told them how great it is and that they won't look back if they give iTunes a go, and asked them to then pass it on. If everyone passes it on and informs another 10 people and so on then iTunes will soon rule the world... wuhahaha!!

Anyone got any screen shots they can post of iTunes running on a PC??

Steve, check out the forum at www.neowin.net and look for the (massive) thread on WiTunes... someone had a screenshot in there. Quite a bastardization of the interface, I think, ripping the menu bar off as a separate element and shoving the menu onto the brushed metal... I hate Windows.

i've been using itunes for windows for a couple hours now (since it came out yesterday afternoon) and i love it. it is, as steve jobs already said, "the entire thing". it does everything the mac version does, looks far better than any other programs on windows and yeah- just remindes me of the time i was blessed to use a mac at school in america ;)

all i am waiting for right now it the iTMS to open in europe... having itunes (or WiTunes if you prefer that name) on windows is great though.

on the other hand i think it might be using more resources than windows media player does, i got 1 ghz of ram here so it works quite well, i do, however, got some friends who already complained about it reacting a little slow occasioanlly. we'll see about that.

I installed WiTunes on my mother's PC and was rather surprised that everything is there, and even seems to have some Macintosh "look and feel". While cruising the radio stations, I found SmoothJazz.com, then went to the iTunes Music Store and initiated several searches. The music from SmoothJazz.com never stopped playing while I was rummaging around the iTMS. The visualizer works great, though it's not as fast as it is on my best friends 867MHz Ti PowerBook (Mom has a 2.8GHz P4). I really expect The Borg to come out with a "Security" update that will break WiTunes and QuickTime 6.4, citing it violates "trusted computing principles".

Mine froze today while Importing a CD :( Had to reboot XP

My OS X version works great!

My XP machine is faster, though, so ripping and burning is a bit faster.

It did not, however, locate ANY of my mp3s on my PC. I had to manually add them all. Luckily I didn't have a lot.

I then told it to move them all into my iTunes Libary and I'll let iTunes keep it neat and tidy! :)

Back