Initializing Network Hangs for ages

Stephen James

Registered
Dear All,

I've just recently upgraded to 10.0.2 and this time when I tried to boot it hang at Initializing Network' for about 15 minutes.

Which is a long time!.

http://www.macsecurity.org/mail/macosx-admin/sep00/msg00262.shtml

I found the above which seemed to suggest to restore some "/etc" files that had changed on his system but they weren't on mine.

So I'm stuck in some vacant land.

On Linux I'd boot into the non-gui version by changing inittab but that doesn't exist as a concept.

How do I stop services being loaded e.g. /etc/rc.d things.

How do I check what it's doing when it hangs.

Is there a Linux 2 MacosX doc that details those subtle details.

Any ideas how to fix the network hang?

The only thing I'd ever done was to enable root as a user in the domain part following someone elses instructions.

So many questions.
regards

If it's stalling at the message 'Initializing Network', then it's at the point where it's running

/System/Library/StartupItems/Network/Network

Unfortunately, there's quite a few things it does in that script. Are there any messages in /var/log/system.log from any program which runs from the Network script?

Originally posted by blb
If it's stalling at the message 'Initializing Network', then it's at the point where it's running

/System/Library/StartupItems/Network/Network

Unfortunately, there's quite a few things it does in that script. Are there any messages in /var/log/system.log from any program which runs from the Network script?

By booting in verbose mode option-v, it seems to be doing a "DIAL ON DEMAND ---" and seems to go round that loop for ages just repeating the same command.

What controls the running of scripts in /System/Library/StartupItems/*, as I could then do a 'set -x' or whatever the equiv is in the scripts.

I've no idea what or why it's doing a dial on demand.

I'm at work now so I'm only quoting for memory.

The startup scripts in /System/Library/StartupItems are started by the SystemStarter program, which is run from /etc/rc (the last thing in fact).

As far as the dial on demand goes, not sure where that's coming from, I don't see anything like that in /System/Library/StartupItems. Have you installed anything which may do that, and which installed its own startup script in /Library/StartupItems?

I have experienced similar problems. I am using ethernet, so it shouldn't be modem problems.

Verbose startup tells me it fails after resoving the hostname...

Dunno, I got out of that startup problem by unplugging the ethernet and then plugging it back in.

I am scared of shutting down since then (the machine is used for development and really can't stop working).

dani++

I had installed a Perl module libwww which included a util called /usr/bin/HEAD which when installed clobbered /usr/bin/head ie. overwrote it.

Inside /System/Library/StartupItems/Network/Network it does a 'head' command which was then call the /usr/bin/HEAD as thet were now one and the same.

This is a Perl script which wants to do a network connection hence the fact that it tries a dial out and then goes loop the loop for ages.

So the problem was that I installed libwww-perl-5.53 which included a /usr/bin/HEAD

I think there's a bigger problem in the way tcsh works.

I've now got the problem that I've no real /usr/bin/head so I had to hack Network to use sed instead.

Back