Initializing Network Hangs for ages

Stephen James

Registered
Dear All,

I've just recently upgraded to 10.0.2 and this time when I tried to boot it hang at Initializing Network' for about 15 minutes.

Which is a long time!.

http://www.macsecurity.org/mail/macosx-admin/sep00/msg00262.shtml

I found the above which seemed to suggest to restore some "/etc" files that had changed on his system but they weren't on mine.

So I'm stuck in some vacant land.

On Linux I'd boot into the non-gui version by changing inittab but that doesn't exist as a concept.

How do I stop services being loaded e.g. /etc/rc.d things.

How do I check what it's doing when it hangs.

Is there a Linux 2 MacosX doc that details those subtle details.

Any ideas how to fix the network hang?

The only thing I'd ever done was to enable root as a user in the domain part following someone elses instructions.

So many questions.
regards

blb

`'
If it's stalling at the message 'Initializing Network', then it's at the point where it's running

/System/Library/StartupItems/Network/Network

Unfortunately, there's quite a few things it does in that script. Are there any messages in /var/log/system.log from any program which runs from the Network script?

Stephen James

Registered
Originally posted by blb
If it's stalling at the message 'Initializing Network', then it's at the point where it's running

/System/Library/StartupItems/Network/Network

Unfortunately, there's quite a few things it does in that script. Are there any messages in /var/log/system.log from any program which runs from the Network script?

By booting in verbose mode option-v, it seems to be doing a "DIAL ON DEMAND ---" and seems to go round that loop for ages just repeating the same command.

What controls the running of scripts in /System/Library/StartupItems/*, as I could then do a 'set -x' or whatever the equiv is in the scripts.

I've no idea what or why it's doing a dial on demand.

I'm at work now so I'm only quoting for memory.

blb

`'
The startup scripts in /System/Library/StartupItems are started by the SystemStarter program, which is run from /etc/rc (the last thing in fact).

As far as the dial on demand goes, not sure where that's coming from, I don't see anything like that in /System/Library/StartupItems. Have you installed anything which may do that, and which installed its own startup script in /Library/StartupItems?

dani++

usin UNIX since '92
I have experienced similar problems. I am using ethernet, so it shouldn't be modem problems.

Verbose startup tells me it fails after resoving the hostname...

Dunno, I got out of that startup problem by unplugging the ethernet and then plugging it back in.

I am scared of shutting down since then (the machine is used for development and really can't stop working).

dani++

Stephen James

Registered
I had installed a Perl module libwww which included a util called /usr/bin/HEAD which when installed clobbered /usr/bin/head ie. overwrote it.

Inside /System/Library/StartupItems/Network/Network it does a 'head' command which was then call the /usr/bin/HEAD as thet were now one and the same.

This is a Perl script which wants to do a network connection hence the fact that it tries a dial out and then goes loop the loop for ages.

So the problem was that I installed libwww-perl-5.53 which included a /usr/bin/HEAD

I think there's a bigger problem in the way tcsh works.

I've now got the problem that I've no real /usr/bin/head so I had to hack Network to use sed instead.