input on my hardware choice

superfula

Registered
I'm getting a dual gig PowerMac machine sometime within the next couple weeks. I've narrowed down my options to getting it from MacMall for the free extra 512MB Ram. Or I could get it at the Apple store and configure it to come with the Geforce4 Ti or Radeon.
So....
MacMall = 512MB Ram free (1 Gig total) with geforce4mx
Apple store = 512 Ram total with Radeon or Geforce4 Ti
2899.00 with radeon 3249.00 with Geforce4 Ti

Not sure if the Ti card is worth it since I haven't seen any Radeon/Geforce4 Ti benchmark-type comparisons. And if I decide to, I can get the 512MB Ram for 150 (most likely lower)

What would you do? go with the extra free Ram with the MX? Or go with the Radeon/Geforce4 Ti, and extra ram later?

Course with the Apple store there's sales tax...I assume shipping would be around 50 from the MacMall

Also...are there many apps that take advantage of the second processor? Does OS X perform quite a bit better with a dual system? If its not very advantageous, I may just get a 933, buy the extra ram, maybe the 17" apple flat screen, and a faster cd burner

My thought is that if you ever wanted to upgrade your graphics card you'd have to take out the old one completely. That seems more wasteful than just adding more RAM later.

I'm also curious as to what monitor you're going to get. The 23" Cinema Display? :D

speacking about graphic cards, i want the new radeon 8500 and i don't think that replacing my gforce 2mx with it would be a waste. nothing is a waste if you upgrade, it's a wastrer if you downgrade, but i understand what you are saying, it's better to add, than to take out, but, waht i think is that the vid card u get is good enough for anything you will need, and ram will add to the overall performance of the computer, not just focus on the video, people make money with apps, not games.

unless your a peecee user who has the illusion that life should e spent on games. (rant)

I have a theory that hardware manufacturers are in leagues with game writers. I knew a guy who was really into having the latest and "greatest" games. He upgraded his computer no less than five times in one year. Not just minor upgrades, either. Things like new graphics cards, new HDs (cause the old one was too slow), et cetera.

Back