Inquiry re: duplicating VM on Parallels with WinXP

jdebott1

Registered
I'm an iMac newbie running WinXP via Parallels. I'm also a stock daytrader using ScottradeElite on my second monitor, and OS X on the iMac.

I would like to duplicate my current VM so that I can run a second ScottradeElite page on the iMac in conjunction with the original screen on my second monitor.

Can someone detail the exact steps I need to follow to make a copy of my current VM so that I can run two separate VM's using Parallels?

1) Using Finder, where can I find the original VM and it's virtual disc to copy?
2) How, and where do I place the copies of the original VM?
3) How do I open and use Parallels to rename the second VM and virtual disc?
-- right now, I have a quickload icon for WinXP on the desktop that opens up Parallels and WinXP automatically.

Thanks for your help. I've searched the forum, but can't seem to locate the answers to my questions. Plus, I'm still trying to digest the Parallels manual.

Joe D.

I would do it this way.
• The VM is in the user's Documents folder inside the Parallels folder.
• I would make a duplicate of the original XP folder located there and leave it in the Parallels folder.
• Then launch the Parallels Desktop application.
• In the Parallels Desktop window that opens, click on the New button.
• In the OS Installation Assistant window that opens, click the Custom operation system installation mode and click 'Next'.
• The next window should show Windows as the type and Windows XP as the version. Click Next.
• Select the memory allotment and click Next.
• In the next window select 'Use an existing HD image" and click Next.
• In this window, click 'Choose' and then migrate to the WinXP copy you made earlier. Open it and select the winxp.hdd file. Then click Open.
• The image path will then show in the OS Installation Assistant window. Click Next.
• I would leave the Shared Networking selected. Click Next.
• Specify a name for your new VM. Click Next.
• I would leave Virtual Machine selected. Click Next.
• In the next window merely click Finish. Ignore the Insert Windows CD instruction.
• The new VM should launch. You can launch the old VM from the Menu Bar.

It worked for me.
Matt

Matt,

Thank you for such detailed directions. I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how I do.

Joe D.

Back