insects behind imac screen

easterhay

little green rosetta
Hi y'all - I've got a 17" G5 iMac (aluminium base, not dome) and I've got some tiny little storm flies behind the screen which show up on the display, like they're sitting on the surface of the display itself.

It's a second hand machine with no warranty for me to void, so is it a straightforward question to remove those three screws below the display and take off the screen front, or should I just leave the bugs in peace?
Ta

i'd like to know how they got there in the first place. if it were mine, i'd not turn it on anymore, if some bugs got in the screen, then how many more might there be in the rest, and in places that could turn the imac into an expensive paper weight. so i'd be trying to find take apart instructions and take the whole thing apart to clean it out.

I've got to say that that's a little bit odd. How would flies, no matter how small, get inside an LCD screen? Wowsa.

Anyway, I think sinclair has the best idea. Find a take-apart guide and take the whole thing apart. Hopefully you won't also have millipedes in the motherboard or spiders in your hard drive... :)

Thanks fellas. I was hoping someone might have a take-apart link to hand, but I'll have a look round and see what I can find.
The flies are those tiny little black slivers of insect which pitch up in droves when a storm's brewing. I assumed they were just skinny enough to slip through a natural gap around the casing. Perhaps they got in while the guy who sold it to me was farting around inside the machine - I dunno, these Mac techs. Tsk. I may just try and get it back to him and ask him to do it.
Cheers

uhhhh....obviously about two minutes of searching at apple.com was all it took. I'm so resourceful sometimes :)

...but despite that I can't find anything which shows me how to get to the display, which makes me very nervous.
I'm thinking I'll have to take the machine back to the guy and get it sorted, unless anyone else knows of a take-apart for the front end of a 17" iMac G5 circa '95.
Cheers agin

Back