Instaling classic on OSX

alexbrown

Registered
Hello,

I recently upgraded to OS X . durring the install i was prompted to reformat the hdd, which I choose to do. the Os installer completed fine and when OS X started there was a folder "Desktop (Mac OS 9)" -- which was empty. I tried to install real player and the screen told me that os 9 need to be installed in order to run this app.

Question does any one know how to install OS 9.2 AFTER OS X has been installed???
I have the disks but even installing os 9 from cd i get the same message.

thanks in advance.

alex

I have been able to pull this off for a while, try this out next time; I'm assuming you've got a non-iMac, an extra hard drive or write access to a networked drive AND (most important) a CD burner. I know this is real unorthodox, but it's very effective if you need to get OS 9 installed underneath OS X on the run. If you have an iMac, or if you don't have a CD burner, you might want to get in touch with a friend that has a non-iMac with a CD burner; he can do this for you, since OS 9.x really doesn't care what hardware you install it on; you could even install OS 9 on an iMac, transfer the hard drive to a G4, and it will boot fine.

But anyway. :p

1. On a blank hard drive, install OS 9.x.

2. Next, update to 9.2.2. DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE.

3. Use Disk Copy to save (known as "imaging") the entire hard drive as a .smi file. Use compression if you like. You might want to attach a second hard drive or connect to a networked drive for this if you don't have a non-iMac computer.

4. Install Toast Titanium for OS 9.

5. Open Toast.

5. Create a new temporary partition of 675 MBs; name it whatever you like.

6. Insert the OS 9 CD.

7. Double-click the OS 9 CD icon, and copy the contents of the entire CD (to be safe) to the temporary partition you just created.

8. Now, drag the .smi file you just created in Disk Copy to the temporary partition.

9. Go back into Toast, and drag the temporary partition into the Toast main window.

10. In Toast, click the "Select..." button.

11. In the "Select Volume" window, click the name of the temporary partition, and click the "Bootable" check box.

12. Click the "Record" button, then tell it to "Write disc."

Once the CD is finished recording, you will now have an OS 9 boot disc WITH an imaged install of OS 9.2.2 that you can install underneath OS X.

13. Power down the computer, and remove the drive you used to install OS 9.2.2 on. At this point, the only hard drive you should have connected to your Mac at this point is the one that OS X is installed on.

14. Make sure all your cables are out of the way, and that any loose power connectors are nowhere near the motherboard.

15. Now that you have the CD burned, boot off of the CD you just created.

16. At the Desktop, double-click the CD.

17. Double-click the .smi file you created earlier.

18. Wait for the .smi file to mount.

19. Now, double-click the image that you mounted in the previous step.

20. If you see "Macintosh HD" (or whatever you decided to name your drive) after you open the disk image, open that folder.

21. You should now see the following folders:

Applications (Mac OS 9)
System Folder
Documents
Late Breaking News

22. Select and copy all these items to the drive you have OS X installed on.

23. After the copy process finishes, boot into OS X. Classic will now be available in OS X.

I'd be more than happy to explain this in more detail, and you can pull this off on an iMac, but I'm in a rush right now to explain. :p

Hope that helps. :)

Best regards,

Z

I don't see why that big, long, complicated process is necessary.

All alexbrown needs to do is to find the OS 9 install CDs that came with the iMac, boot up off of them, and install OS 9 onto any available partition. Then it's just a matter of booting back into OS X and selecting the newly installed System Folder as the Classic System Folder.

Heh. I just use that method because it works really well if the computers are all on a network; if the network speed is fast, you can have it uploaded onto your computer and ready to go in like 10 minutes or less; a lot faster than waiting for the install to finish off of the CD. Plus, if you've done it already, any configurations you might have made are already included with the image you created, as well as other applications you might have installed. If you're familiar with Norton Ghost, you'll know what I mean.

In a nutshell, it's great if you're prone to re-installing OS 9 without having to format the entire drive and start all over again, or if you're on a network and you need a quick way of installing a clean build of OS 9.

But hey, whatever works for you. :)

Back