install 10.4 server on 10.3 client

black1282

Registered
im sure this is going to be an easy one (i hope) for you...

I am running os x 10.3 client version on my G4, decided to scrap windows 2003 server and install 10.4 server on my laptop and control the <10 mix mac & pcs I have on my network from my Mac (my god does tiger look cool). So I bought mac server 10.4 and tried to install it only to find that to do an upgrade my mac needs to have 10.4 os on it. I don't fancy having clean my mac and start from scratch (you will tell me if thats a good idea or not).

So I was wondering if there is anyway around this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

black1282 said:
im sure this is going to be an easy one (i hope) for you...

I am running os x 10.3 client version on my G4, decided to scrap windows 2003 server and install 10.4 server on my laptop and control the <10 mix mac & pcs I have on my network from my Mac (my god does tiger look cool). So I bought mac server 10.4 and tried to install it only to find that to do an upgrade my mac needs to have 10.4 os on it. I don't fancy having clean my mac and start from scratch (you will tell me if thats a good idea or not).

So I was wondering if there is anyway around this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Although it is not fun to do the full reinstall, it is the only way. First back your stuff to another spot, the partition your harddrive and install tiger on the first partition. Use the second partition for data etc.

I expect apple does not want problems to arise from running mixed systems and therefore does force a drive format before installation. Basicly a good idea, but it would be better if it was mentioned somewhere.

Good luck, Kees

Ok, so what you want to do is upgrade a 10.3 client installation on your laptop to 10.4 Server?

First, I see that you say you want to use it to administrate your network, but why use Server on your laptop? Server will only provide the advanced file sharing and network services you would expect from a server, like Open Directory, DNS, DHCP, Mail, etc. Unless your planning on running those services from your portable, it's not a good match.

There is a way to do this without erasing your data. If you do an upgrade of your 10.3 client to 10.4 client, you can then install the Server on top of it. In the 10.3 days, you'd be told to install disk 2, instead of starting with disk 1. Disk 1 contains the OS, 2 contains the server specific applications. You'll want to install that package to your machine. :)

YMMV. Some folks have had some issues upgrading from 10.3 to 10.4, so be sure your system is in good shape and that you do have a good backup, just in case!

Go3iverson said:
Ok, so what you want to do is upgrade a 10.3 client installation on your laptop to 10.4 Server?

You can also mount the server and run the applications (or copy) the applications in the map 'applications/server' on the root volume of the file server.

Kees

black1282 said:
Thanks for the info, one quick question, does 10.4 client handle VPN and NAT?

You mean you want to run a VPN server off of your laptop? Tiger Client can connect to a VPN server, but does not include a VPN server for others. VPN and NAT services would be a candidate to purchase Server...but why put that on a portable? You could get any desktop hardware to run this on, instead of a portable you might want to have, well, portable! :)

Back