Install classic at the top of os x

Acheron

Registered
I am currently running os x 10.1.1...today i wanted to play some of my classic games and put in my 9.1 CD, but when i try install it i get a message saying that it requires classic to run the classic installer...great.. then i try reboot the comp and press down C to boot from the classic CD, but it wont, it just boot normal into os x 10.1.1

Could somebody explain the classic install process for me please? When I installed os x it said I could install classic later...

thanks for any help.

Heres a work around. If you can do it. Any chance you have an external drive? My boss installed X on his main coputer without classic. Later he moved the classic system folder from a external drive onto the X drive. And then classic was installed on the X harddrive. Make since? Or you probably could just copy a classic system folder on to a zip (if it fits) then drop it on the X drive and see if that works also. Then just restart in 9 and you can run the installation disk to make sure you have a good installation.

It might work

Twister

its been a few days since your problem so i hope you have it fixed by now. if so please share how you did it with the rest of us. if not, then it would help if you posted your system and peripheral specs. But if you have two cd drives this should be easy enough. simply boot from another cd w/system, almost any system 9, and then run the installer from the other. I also had trouble getting my 9.2.1 disk to mount when pressing c. If you don't have another cd, like a cdrw, but you've been thinking about getting one, then perhaps this would be a good excuse to justify getting one. (oh, it would have to be a firewire cdr(w) to be recognized by a bootable disk i beleive) One other slightly more difficult way to do it is by putting your installer cd in while x is launched and choose it as your startup disk. this should launch the installer when you reboot. run the installer all the way thru. Now is where it might get tricky. If you can, go to startup control panel and choose one of your harddrive's systems (9 should be installed by now) as the startup. When I did this it would not respond to my commands. so I rebooted and with paper clip handy, immediately did a manual eject of disc before the computer started looking for it. You must be quick and know what you are doing at this point as you could damage the drive if it is accessing the disk or so I have heard. Once the selected startup disk is out, it should default to the drive's system and boot normally. When you have rebooted in osx, go to classic in system prefs and configure it the way you want it. now you're gaming. you also might want to try running an uptodate diagnostic and repair program on the harddrive as some system malfunction may be at root of the recognition problem. A few days ago I would have recommended drive 10 and/or techtoolpro, but after diskwarrior was the only one to solve an external harddrive recognition problem, I would enthusiastically recommend it.

1) reboot your computer from a mac os9 install cd. mac os 9 doesn't recognize osX and will pretty much ignore it.
2) you'll restart from your hard drive under os9 after the install.
3) then go to the control panels to reselect osX to reboot into osX.
4) once you're in osX, go to your system preferences to select Classic
5) make sure that osX recognizes your os9 system folder for use in classic mode. then close all these windows.
6) launch an os9 app. your mac should then ask to update the classic environment. tell it yes.

you may have more luck with jaguar/10.2 than 10.1.x, which could be flaky at times.

oh yeah, if your mac won't boot from the 9.1 cd, then maybe it's the wrong version. for your mac to run. you might need 9.2. OR maybe you just need to pop in the os9 cd and then go to system preferences/startup disc. select the Cd from that window to force cd booting. BUT FIRST make sure that your os9 CD is compatible with your Mac, or you'll have to hold down the mouse when you restart to eject the cd.

Back