Install Mac OSX without internal CD drive?

applemaz

Registered
Is it possible to install Mac OSX on a G3/300 iBook (Rev B - Tangerine clamshell) when its internal CD-ROM drive is shot?

I have a PM G5 Dual (with Tiger on it) and an external USB Hard drive. I don't know if I can connect the USB hard drive to the USB port on the iBook and boot off the external USB drive.

I don't think I can partition the iBook's drive since I'd have to boot off the internal CD to use any tool that could accomplish this in the first place.

I'm not running MacOSX Server, so I don't think I can set up a netboot for the iBook.

I don't really care all that much per se about not having a CD-ROM drive, but I DO want to move from OS 9.2.2 to Panther. If only I could get Panther installed on this iBook somehow.

Anyone have any suggestions?

You can't boot via USB on this iBook.
Does your iBook have Firewire? If it does, you can use Target Disk Mode to install.

This does not have firwire. Does that pretty much mean an iBook such as this is stuck with whatever OS happens to be on it?

I'd say: eBay. Every now and then people sell their old Macs in parts as something is broken and they don't deem it worth repair. You could search there for a CD drive.

Would be the best move IMO if you want to further use the iBook

Back