Install OS X on external firewire drive

colindunn

Registered
So I have a Lacie 250GB external firewire drive that I would like to install OS X onto. I am 95% sure this is possible, any help would be much appreciated.

Here is the long and short of it.

- Plug the drive in. Make sure it is working and that there is nothing on it you don't mind getting rid of.
- Put your Mac OS X install disc into the drive and shut down.
- Turn on your Mac while holding down the "C" key to start from the CD drive.
- Once the installer loads, on the "Select Destination" step, you'll get the option of choosing where you want to install Mac OS X. Make sure you choose the external drive.

Thanks for your help. But there is a ton of stuff on my external drive that I do not want to get rid of. Is there any way to partition the drive?

Thanks for your help. But there is a ton of stuff on my external drive that I do not want to get rid of. Is there any way to partition the drive?
A google search for "non destructive OS X partitioning" comes up with at least 2 ways this can be accomplished, neither of them for the feint of heart.

jb.

I wonder how many thousands (millions??) of people have lost large amounts of unreplaceable data from actually trusting "non-destructive" partitioning applications..............

[whisper]don't risk it without first backing up the data[/whisper]

[whisper]which means you can do it the destructive way without losing anything just as easily. backup, partition, bring back the stuff from the backup.[/whisper] :)

Back