install osx jaguar FAILS!

poundsine

Registered
I've been trying to install 10.2 on a recently purchased iBook, which incidentally has nothing installed on it except for Office X (and it came installed with 10.1.4), and I can't -- basically, it walks me through the installation process but when it actually starts installing the OS, the GUI interface goes black and I'm kicked into a DOS-like (UNIX?--sorry I really don't know much about this) environment...

Anyway it tells me installation failed... anyone else seen this happen?

You wouldn't happen to have any Norton software installed, would you? That stuff can be...let's say... slightly incompatible with 10.2 at the moment. Uninstall it.

The 10.2 installer seems to have trouble with any 3rd-party software that alters the default core OS at all, including (especially?) some drivers, startup items, and the like.

You say your Mac is "recently purchased". Within the last 90 days? If so, you can call Apple for free tech support. I would recommend doing so.

I have the same problem on my G3 which has 10.1.5 at the moment. I even tried reformatting the OSX partition and installing JAGUAR fresh - same symptoms: Blank Screen and a Freeze about 10 minutes from the end of installation.
Any ideas anyone??

Back