Install Safari 1.2 not allowed!?!?

bunner bob

Registered
I just updated my wife's 12" AluBook to Panther (10.3.2) - via archive & install.

I noticed Software Update didn't list Safari, so I downloaded 1.2 manually and tried to install - got a message that it couldn't/wouldn't install on her computer - i.e. that for some reason it wasn't allowed. I could understand this if she was running Jaguar, but 1.2 is supposed to be the Panther version, right?

Any ideas what I should look for?

- Bob

Hmmm - someone posted a reply (at least I got an email) but it isn't showing up here. They said to update to 10.3.3, which includes Safari 1.2.1. We're going to hold off on 10.3.3 - I've run across far more problem reports on the 10.3.3 update than I've seen lately with other updates. We'll wait for 10.3.4, as for some reason Apple's even-number updaters seem to be the most reliable.

And anyway, there shouldn't be any reason she can't install Safari 1.2. I want to solve this problem.

- Bob

bunner bob said:
Hmmm - someone posted a reply (at least I got an email) but it isn't showing up here. They said to update to 10.3.3, which includes Safari 1.2.1. We're going to hold off on 10.3.3 - I've run across far more problem reports on the 10.3.3 update than I've seen lately with other updates. We'll wait for 10.3.4, as for some reason Apple's even-number updaters seem to be the most reliable.

And anyway, there shouldn't be any reason she can't install Safari 1.2. I want to solve this problem.

- Bob
That was me. Its my fault, I guess there was 'inapropriate material' in my signature...
But uhh, yeah. Wait till OS X 10.3.4 is released.

bunner bob

Sounds like you have more problems than this, from reading your other post.

I would do a clean install of the system. And, 10.3.3 is fine to install. Very few people have had problems. I have it on two machines and no problems.

bobw said:
bunner bob

Sounds like you have more problems than this, from reading your other post.

I would do a clean install of the system. And, 10.3.3 is fine to install. Very few people have had problems. I have it on two machines and no problems.

Hmm - actually no, this is about the only problem. I did post something about aliases and the sidebar... well, anyway - this is the only problem she's having, and frankly not worth the hassle of a clean install (since she's got about 10 GB of data and only a cd burner). Maybe I'll call Applecare and see what they say, Hell, we paid for it.

- Bob

Has Safari been moved out of the Applications file, or into a sub-folder in the Applications folder? If so, Software Update won't find it and it may also be giving you the error messages. Make sure it's back in Applications and try again.

Back