install Tiger on Emac no dvd palyer

colimanut

Registered
I have an E Mac G4 running 10.3.9 and I would like to install tiger or maybe 10.5 While shopping for the Tiger osx I see the requirements to load Tiger are a DVD drive. Since my EMac only has a CD drive can I use the DVD drive on my other computer Mac Mini to load Tiger on to the Emac and if so how do I do it.

Thank you

It should be possible to put the Mini into Target Disk Mode to do the install. You'll need a FireWire 400 cable for the process though. If you at least have a USB 2.0 system, it might be easier to just get one of those external DVD drives for netbooks.

Personally, I'd just take the eMac to the dump so it can be disposed of properly. Or sell it on ebay or craigslist so it becomes someone else's problem. If ever there was an Apple product that deserved never to exist, it was the eMac.

Personally, I'd just take the eMac to the dump so it can be disposed of properly. Or sell it on ebay or craigslist so it becomes someone else's problem. If ever there was an Apple product that deserved never to exist, it was the eMac.

The eMacs weighed a ton and some of the later models were prone to popping caps, but otherwise they were work horses. My vote for Apple product that never deserved to exist is the iMac G5. I'd seen very few of those that hadn't been through a couple logic boards and power supplies after only a couple years.

If the OP wants to use the Mini to install OSX on the eMac, insert the disk into the mini then boot it to target disk mode. Connect the firewire between the two machines and boot the eMac holding the option key to enter boot manager. Hopefully you will see the installer DVD as a boot option. The only other thing is make sure the eMac drive is partitioned APM if doing a clean install.

Back