Installation problem with Jaguar!!!

ulrik

Registered
Wow, that's nasty. Today I installed Jaguar on my old Cube which my Dad uses at the moment.

After the first CD is finished and it should boot into 10.2 to install the second CD, after about 3 seconds of booting I am thrown into the unix shell.

I tried everything, zapping PRAM, running fsck, starting needed processes by hand (I was desperate), nothing worked. I sat in front of a frozen Mac. I couldn't even boot into OS 9. The boot would hang.

I tried installing it AGAIN from my fathers discs (I got him the german version of jaguar, I like to have english docs), I tried it from my discs (english version, which shouldn't matter anyway). Nothing. No luck. Everytime the same thing.

Then I installed Jaguar on my TiBook. Guess what. Same effect.

On my Quicksilver, it works.

I went to the support forum from Apple...and I am not the only person with this problem, many people complain about this, they basically froze their Mac and can't do anything to get their data back (I should have done the data backup before, damnit).

I can only advice that - until Apple comments about this - be careful when installing Jaguar, back up all data.

Oh...and if anyone knows how to fix this problem, I would be more than glad to hear how ;)

Back