Installation Troubles

KUguy808

Registered
I have an iMac G4 1 ghz with 62 GB left of hard drive space. I have just recently installed The Sims on here (OS 9 version) and I have the Livin' Large expansion pack (also OS 9) so I tried installing that, too. However, it gave me an error message saying that an additional 423.9 megabytes were needed to install. I know I have more than enough space left and I was wondering what the deal is here. I have installed other games on the computer after I tried putting Livin' Large on here and they've installed fine. So what do I need to do in order to get my version of The Sims to update to Livin' Large? Thanks for any help in advance.

Which system are you running when you try and install? I got the same message when I tried to install via Classic running OS X, but it was fine when I rebooted into OS 9.

Well, Classic starts up automatically whenever I try to install a Mac OS 9 only game... and so it starts up when I try to add Livin' Large on my computer, so I assume it's running. But I'm not sure how to reboot the computer in Classic mode. In fact, I can't even figure out how to boot Classic mode manually (kinda new on OS X). So if you could tell me where to go to set the computer to reboot in Classic, I'd appreciate it. The frustration level is high, hehe. Thanks!

Originally posted by KUguy808
Well, Classic starts up automatically whenever I try to install a Mac OS 9 only game... and so it starts up when I try to add Livin' Large on my computer, so I assume it's running. But I'm not sure how to reboot the computer in Classic mode. In fact, I can't even figure out how to boot Classic mode manually (kinda new on OS X). So if you could tell me where to go to set the computer to reboot in Classic, I'd appreciate it. The frustration level is high, hehe. Thanks!

I would download the Sims Updates for Mac OS X... These will allow you to run the game like if it was an OS X game! No Classic confusions :D

The updates can be found here:
http://www.apple.com/games/updates/sims/ :p ;)

I wasn't able to install Livin' Large in Classic - I had to reboot into 9. If the updates don't work, you can reboot into 9 from System Preferences/Startup Disk. I only had to do that with LL - all the other expansion packs have been fine in Classic.

Um. . . many of the newer machines don't boot into OS 9 anymore.

[Edit: Including the iMac 1gHz, unfortunately]

OS 9 is the latest version of the so called "Classic" Mac OS, which is emulated under OS X (called "Classic Mode"). Booting into OS 9 is different from using Classic Mode in OS X. It's faster and more compatible with the older Mac apps. NOT POSSIBLE ON MANY NEWER MACHINES.

Let us know if you need any more help. Your iMac is a good game machine.

Doug

P.S. Hulkaros probably has the best idea. Dload the OS X patches.

i have the patch for The Sims Carbon or in X and it works great, havent gotten around to buying the expansion pack yet though

Um, trickey, he has an iMac, not an eMac, meaning he probably can't boot into OS 9. But to try, go to System Preferences, click on Startup Disk, and select the OS 9 system. Try restarting. If it doesn't work, get the patch.

I know this is an old thread, but I just ran into this same problem and couldn't get it to work, even after an hour at the Apple store.

On our own, we got it to work- here's what you have to do.

Put the CD in the drive and open Disk Utility. When it opens, select the disk in the drive, but make sure you select the DRIVE, not any levels below that. Click on New Image. When the Window pops up it gives you an option for size. Make it big- at least 2 gigs.

Mount the disk image, THEN install it. I had to do this with House Party also, Hot Date was fine. Once it's installed, just copy it from the disk image to the harddrive.

Apparently, the new OS X doesn't have OS 9 drivers installed on it so the disc doesn't know where to install the software, so it tries to install it on the CD. By making it think the image is the CD it works.

Back