installation woes, please help

kadampa

Registered
Finally got my media exchange today, and attempted to load Tiger on my B&W G3. (should be compatible hardware, according to Apple's info, e.g., not a SCSI hard drive) Decided on a clean install, and am repeatedly informed that there was an installation error during disc 2's loading, and "Please try to install again." I've tried a bunch of times, and it keeps failing, and at different stages of disc 2's loading. What now? Can I force it to reload Panther, and try an upgrade, instead of a clean install? And how, Tiger seems to have taken over the machine, on any reboot it just keeps asking for disc 2, which won't load properly. Any help would be much appreciated.

I only got as far as 10.3.8 on a mates' G3 - apart from a torrid time - we discovered it was a little slow...
I wasn't aware of the 'SCSI' situation... I thought the lowest spec was now builtin Firewire...
Perhaps there's a firmware update? Check out: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

However, could it just be that the CD is 'not well'? Not outside the realms of possibility?
Given the situation, does that absolute minimum installation actually require Disk2? Or how about your suggestion of a Panther install followed by an Archive and install? Any chance of checking the CD onother Mac?
All just thoughts...
Let me know how you get on.
ATB

I just went through a similar experience while trying to install Tiger. The installation failed at an early stage with a supposed disk problem, so I tried to fix my disk using Disk Utility(didn't work), then bought DiskWarrior to see if that would do it. It appeared to, and the installation (I was using the upgrade option) progressed ok for a while, then failed at a late stage. By this time, my hard disk was not available to go back to, so I tried again with a clean install. It progressed further this time, but still failed! Eventually, I figured out it was failing on the install of the language translations, so I did a custom install to stop that part of the installation, and, finally, it completed normally!

I hope this helps! :)

Afterthought - worth checking that RAM involved is 'proper' RAM - it's been noted before that this may cause problems. If needs be strip Mac to what it came with and add again afterwards.

If it just can't seem to read the second disk, I'd try and copy that disk on another Mac. Create an image of it in Disk Utility and burn it to a CD-R. Sounds like it's scratched or badly produced or something...

Try a Custom install only selecting the BSD Subsystem (will only require Disc 1).

The other discs can be mounted in the Finder and the packages installed manually.

At least that is how it has been with previous versions of Mac OS X. I have no experience with the Tiger CDs...

... for the helpful suggestions. Finally had good luck by shutting down, disconnecting all peripherals, erasing and verifying disc, and starting the installation process over. Mail wouldn't configure for awhile, and there are some lingering issues with Sleep startup, etc., but apps are loading and working OK, and I'm very happy with Tiger.

Thanks!

Back