Installation?

I have Tiger on the dvd disc, but I don't have a dvd drive–in my iBook. My friend has an external USB dvd drive. Is there anyway I can use it to start up off the cd. I just want to find out a way without having to send it back to apple to get the cd rom. Any ideas?

First, that depends on what iBook model you have. USB-drives, afaik, don't boot right out of the box for some reason. Do you have a FW port on your iBook? (If not, you can't install Tiger, anyway.) You should use an external FW-DVD-drive. (A DVD-burner works, too.) Also: _DO_ read what all has been written about this subject already in this forum...

Yes, I have a firewire port. My iBook is more then capable of Tiger–with the exception of the dvd drive. Your saying that I can boot off the disc from an external dvd driver and/or burner as long as its firewire?

benp said:
Yes, I have a firewire port. My iBook is more then capable of Tiger–with the exception of the dvd drive. Your saying that I can boot off the disc from an external dvd driver and/or burner as long as its firewire?

I don't know if you can do what you mention, but I have a suggestion. I think you may be able to install Tiger from another Mac using firewire target-disk mode. I have not tried this approach so use my suggestion at your own risk. Maybe your friend has a firewire Mac with a combo or superdrive.

Hopefully it won't have to come to that. I was reading around the forum, and it seems that some people have installed Tiger from an external dvd driver–one thats firewire. Hopefully I'll be able to do that as well.

Back