installed new ram and now it wont boot

Orbit

MacMan
Ok, so I installed some new ram into my 14" g4 933mhz ibook and then went to boot it up and it looked fine but then it took ages for anything to happen.

It sat at the grey apple screen spinning for about 3mins then the screen went blue and continued to spin, i left it for another 8mins and still spinning.

I restarted it again and this time after the blue spinning screen the cursor appeared ontop of the blue screen 5mins later nothing has still happened :(

Ive now put the old ram back in and the same thing as above is still happening.

Anyone have any sugestions?
Thanks

Update:
I have now booted from the install cd and used the repair drive feature and it said:
1 volmume repaired
1 HFS volume failed

it now boots all the way to the welcome to os x screen and the progress bar makes it to the very end and then it just hangs :( but still its progress

I hate to ask this question as it seems so obvious, but did you seat the RAM modules(s) securely? Particularly when putting RAM into a laptop, I'm often reluctant to push it in with the strength that is sometime necessary to get Ram modules in properly.

yes it was installed firmly, was in as far as it would go. Ok ill try that after ive tryed using diskwarrior 4 on the drive

have you pulled the ram back out to make sure that it is in fact the ram? and also, are you sure you didn't loosen the hard drive connection? but it is also possible the hard drive died at the same time you put the ram in. unlikely, but not impossible.

yeah i Have tried pulling it in and out a few times with no luck.
Yeah the battery was removed when I installed it

Back