Installed osx on a harddrive with Windows filess on it and now I can't view the files

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenNightz

Registered
Somebody please help! I have a 111 gb hard drive. It had 10-15 gigs free when I installed OSX x86 on it. Now it has 2 gb. The harddrive was used with Windows XP (ntfs file system) before so all of the files were in Windows folders. Now when I'm in OSX I can't view the files. In a PC box I put the OSX harddrive as secondary and Windows can't see it. I put the OSX harddrive as primary and OSX can't see the Windows harddrive.

Is there anyway to get or view my files that are still on the hardrive? I mean, they must still be on the harddrive if it's only showing 2 gigs free right??? :(

A trillion thanks to anyone that can help me :eek:

Oh boy... :confused:

Legalities aside,... :p

Was Windows using the entire hard drive for it to run, or did you partition the hard drive for a Windows install and an OSx86 install? Remember that if you have free space on a Windows installation, that means that it is free space WITHIN THAT FILESYSTEM. So if you tried to install OSx86 on the free space of that large NTFS partition, you have basically wiped out the partition that had Windows on it.

On a side note, Windows won't see the OS X partition because it can't read any other filesystem other than FAT/FAT32/NTFS. As for OS X seeing the Windows partition, OS X normally can see all Windows filesystems (FAT/FAT32/NTFS) but NTFS is read-only. You'll find that in Linux and xBSD operating systems as well.

I'd say you tried something illegal and got what you asked for: The removal of all your files. :p

This is _not_ the place for discussing this. Read the board rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back