Installed screensaver, now computer will not boot unless in safe mode

craneology

Registered
So the other day I installed this stupid screensaver from a non profit environmental group, and im blaming my computers actions on that. Now whenever I try to reboot my comp, it hangs at the apple logo, with no spinning wheel. Now if I try and boot into safemode, it works fine, except no internet / sound /etc. It may not be the screensavers fault, but nevertheless it seems to be a problem with startup items. Maybe im wrong. Any clues?

I wasn't mentioned in your post, but have you tried to remove the screensaver to see if bootup returns back to normal? If so, then yeah, it's the screensaver... toss it out and move on.

If you already removed the screensaver and the problem persists, I'd boot the machine with your Apple provided System Disc and check the disk (with Disk Utility) for and drive errors. After that, boot back in normally. Issue still there? Reboot into safe mode again and run Disk Utility again, but this time run the fix permissions and see if that helps out.

My thoughts are either by luck you encountered a bad sector that just happens to reside on a block an extension resides on or during the install of the screesaver, it erronously changed a directory the system is trying to read during boot up that is preventing normal loading from happening.

Hope this helps!

So how do I go about deleting the screen saver? I never found a shred of evidence of its existence on my system. I deleted the file it came from, but other than that, I find no trace of it. I haev checked the disk permissions, and yes there was some messed up stuff. I repaired it, but it still does not run correctly. Is there a way to check what the start up items are? If so, maybe I can kill the ones that dont look important.

Interesting, ive never noticed that folders existence before. Maybe its not there... (im at work atm so cant look on my machine)... I will look at it when I get home tho :)

Just like Bunga suggested, there is also another possible place for the file to be placed at. ~/Library/Screensavers/

The only difference is that this user's screensaver directory only works for that user. The other one will be available to all users of the machine.

Another way to ensure you get everything out is to check with the maker of that screensaver! Email them, tell 'em you don't like their screensaver and that it caused your agony and grief. Ask them to list out what files are installed and where they are.

Hmm I changed the background image and now it will boot up in normal mode, but it is still really slow starting up. I also noticed it is also really slow when you try to log in as root in terminal. That may help target the slowdown.

Well if you can get back into the system now, I'd suggest you do a back up of important data and re-install the system using the Archive and Install feature of OSX. That way you get a fresh new system with your settings and home folder intact.

Be sure to check the option "Preserve existing Users & Network Settings" when performing the re-install.

This is only one of your options at this point, though I'd suggest it only because whatever happened to your machine seems to have affected many different parts.

** Keep in mind there's a small risk of data loss when you reinstall. **

By the way, when you say "screensaver" what do you mean? Do you mean that which comes on after the computer hasn't been used for a few minutes? Or do you mean the background picture, which is not a screensaver but is commonly referred to as one?

Doug

Back