Installer crashing

palott

Registered
I haven't been able to install any new programs via the installer for the last couple days. I noticed this when I tried to install the new beta version of Safari, and the installer crashed. After several attempts I gave up. Then yesterday my X11 died, and I tried to reinstall it, but the installer died again.

This evening I tried loading the system DVD to install the base applications (hoping the installer would be one of them)... But wouldn't you know, installer crashed when trying to install the software from the DVD...

Any ideas about why the installer is crashing? Fixes?

Thanks,

Aaron

Run the Repair utility from the OS CD,

Run fsck;

To run fsck, you first need to start up your Mac in single-user mode. Here's how:

1. Restart your Mac.

2. Immediately press and hold the Command and "S" keys.

You'll see a bunch of text begin scrolling on your screen. In a few more seconds, you'll see the Unix command line prompt (#).

Congratulations.You're now in single-user mode. I bet you've never seen your Mac screen look like that before. (I wish I could show you a screen shot of it, but as far as I can tell, it's not possible. And photos of it are ugly.)

Now that you're at the # prompt, here's how to run fsck:

1. Type: "fsck -y" (that's fsck-space-minus-y).

2. Press Return.

The fsck utility will blast some text onto your screen. If there's damage to your disk, you'll see a message that says:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

If you see this message--and this is extremely important--repeat Steps 1 and 2 again and again until that message no longer appears. It is normal to have to run fsck more than once -- the first run's repairs often uncover additional problems..

When fsck finally reports that no problems were found, and the # prompt reappears:

3. Type: "reboot" to restart,

or type "exit" to start up without rebooting.

4. Press Return.

Your Mac should proceed to start up normally to the login window or the Finder.

I had the sam problem and it was after installing Sarafi. I gave up after so many things were failing that I just re-installed 10.2 and started over. (upgrading to 10.2.3 later) I realize this is drastic, but I couldn't print anything, I couldn't install, Classic wouldn't run...... When you do a re-install, it saves your personal settings, so it wasn't too bad. The bummer was that I don't have a clue why and If it might happen again. I did download the latest Sarafi. (v.51) and it seems OK now.
I wish someone out there could tell me how to fix this without my drastic measures, but for now it worked for me.

Back