Installer Does not find Hard Drive!

A while ago I started having a problem using the installer app. Anything I tryed to install could not find a hard drive to intall itself into! I know many other people have this problem too. Has anyone found out a way to fix this, or another way of installing apps? Anything?

I don't know if this will help, but the second HD in my B&W G3 was formatted in HFS not HFS+. It would not see the drive that was HFS. You may need to update or re-format. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Macdude64
I don't know if this will help, but the second HD in my B&W G3 was formatted in HFS not HFS+. It would not see the drive that was HFS. You may need to update or re-format. Just a thought.

I've had the same problem (not being able to see the hardrive), but this is on one partition. I have OS9 on it with OSX installed on top of it. Unfortunately, when i boot into 9 and then when I try to install something (aka my printer drivers), I can't see my hardrive. Same thing happens when I try to download stuff with Netscape (but I got around this by picking the default download loactaion to be the documents folder). I tried making a disk image and mounting it, and then I could select that as the hardrive, and low-and-behold, it seemed to install all the important system stuff in the system folder in my real partition. I can't remember exactly what happened when i did it about a month ago (aka did I have a system folder in the disk image?), but I do remember that the epson software seemed to work in the print dialogue box, but then I think, for whatever reason, it wouldn't print. So, in short, I have no idea what the problem is, but it sure sucks :).

Hope someone else (maybe apple) knows a fix,
F-bacher

I also have two partitions-- physical hard drives, actually(one internal 6 gig IDE HFS+, and an external fire wire 45 gig HFS+). I recently got the fire wire drive... maby that is the problem... I will try booting without the fire wire drive on later (its 1:30 a.m.), and see if the installer wants to work....
Thanx for your input! I will post my results after i tested it!

Ok, i tested the installer by turning my fire wire hard drive off and booting up, then testing the installer. the installer program could find the internal hard drive this time! It seems like the installer doesn not like multiple partitions/ hard drives for some reason...... Any more input is much apreaciated!
Thanx!

Back