installer issues

vbr8er

Registered
ive just installed x.2 and all the updates in the past few days and now im trying to install other software. theres two different things happining. 1. when i open a package, the installer starts but only for a second. 2. when i start a installer w/o a package i get this message "the software to be installed requires administrator or higher level access privileges (it dosnt ask me for a name and password like in x.1 it just has a (OK). ive checked my account, i am a admin, auto login is on. ive also repaired the disk permissions, altho it was screwed up, it didnt work. im really stuck here and gettin aggravated with jaguar. anyone who has any insite on this tia.

I could be (very) wrong, but it sounds like when you try to open a package, Jaguar tries to open the 10.1 version of Installer. Applications that don't work with Jag tend to bounce once in the dock and disappear. Try dragging the package onto the Jag version of installer.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at Disk Utility and running "Fix Permissions" to see if that changes anything.

it seems like the only thing that works is to log in as a new admin but, i have no access to anything from my original user. ive backed up all my files and im thinking about deleting the drive and starting over. any thoughts on this?

I've had two programs do this to me. I logged in as Root and installed that way.

Can you make a new admin and delete the old one? The old one's files will be moved to an image in the "deleted users" folder. You should be able to get everything from there.

It sounds like you may have a permissions problem. As with all new installlations of Mac OSX, I would recommend you boot off the 1st OSX Install CD, and go up to the installer menu and select Disc Utility. Select your drive (or boot volume) and run repair permissions. This should set all your permissions to their correct settings (The default Apple settings are not perfect, and in some cases can get screwed up).

Back