installing 10.3 broke some things in 10.2

boi

official breaker of macs.
these are installed on completely different hard drives. let me stress that.

in 10.2, everything wants to open with the 10.3 programs (which, inherently, don't open in 10.2 at all). so i've been right clicking-> show info-> open with -> change all-ing everything, but it hasn't been able to fix my problem 100%.

for instance, apple-> system preferences won't open system preferences. i have to open it manually (hd->apps->system prefs).

can someone help my poor, confused computer?

LOL, boi, i am the same ... Right clicking Desktop " change desktop " ... won't work ... apps wanna load from Panther ... WHY?! Stupid!

This is nothing new. Macs have always tried to open the most recent version of an application. It's got nothing to do with Panther per se.

Originally posted by borad
This is nothing new. Macs have always tried to open the most recent version of an application. It's got nothing to do with Panther per se.

the applications are on a different hard drive completely. i'm not booting from that hard drive, i'm booting from my 10.2 hard drive.
but yes, as stated, the documents are trying to open the most recent application. i know =). since these applications were installed by panther, on the panther only hard drive, it's got a lot to do with panther.

anyone know how to fix the link in the apple menu to system preferences?

Same thing happens for me. 10.2 is finding the new apps and thinks it should use them. Terminal.app from Panther does work in 10.2 though.

I think the only solution is to just do a change all applications to use the 10.2 version of the apps.

It's just like that. Nothing to do about it. Want to work with a clean 10.2.x? Disconnect the Panther test drive. (It's a beta after all...)

On the upside, you can use Panther's Terminal and Calculator in Jaguar. Might come in handy with the Calc, since it has some nifty unit conversions built in...

The other apps like Preview, FontBook, and Mail won't work with 10.2 however...

Fryke is right. Disconnect the ext-HD and you won't have this problem.

Weird how it finds them by itself tho! Weird but cool, in a way (if they worked).
Nevermind, i just edit them, for the time being!

Originally posted by fryke
Disconnect the Panther test drive. (It's a beta after all...)

I had the same problem as boi - Panther on a separate partition, same drive though. To solve the problem I simply unmounted the Panther partition - just drag it to the trash. Of course you'll need to do this every time you restart, but I hardly ever do that, so it's not an issue.

how odd.

i have had no problem whatsoever since installing Jaguar and Panther on seperate partitions.

Must be like borad says. I had a network volume with a copy of Preview from 10.3 mounted, and suddenly Preview didn't work. Worked as normal again when I unmounted the volume.

What if i install panther on my 15gb ipod? Can i be sure now that no conflicts can happen? It has about 12gb of space on it left by the way.

what about an apple script that unmounts the panther partition or drive on login? is that doable, if it is you could just throw it on your login items list in jaguar and you'd be set.

//carbon

For really unmounting seccond partition go to terminal and type:
> sudo umount /Volumes/NameOf10dot3Harddisk
Indeed, unmount spelled without the 'n'
to mount again:
> sudo mount /Volumes/NameOf10dot3Harddisk

The umounted partition will return anyway on reboot.
This should do it..

You could always put your Panther install into a disk image, but I doubt you could boot from this.

Back