Installing 10.4 on my G4 with 10.2.8 using an external dvd drive

MickeyChamp

Registered
I am trying to install 10.4 on my G4 with 10.2.8. Since my computer didnt come with a dvd drive, i bought a nice sony one. The computer recognizes it and i can click the 10.4 install button. It tells me to restart, but after I restart, it wont start the installer. Ive tried restart while holding down c, t, or ctrl, all to no avail.

I hear that you can send in the 10.4 dvd back to apple and they can give you the cds, but I realy want to get this dvd drive to work. HELP ME RHONDA!

Put the Tiger disc in and go to the Startup PreferencePane and see if it shows that drive/disc. If it does, select it and restart and see if it boots off the disc.

Could be this drive isn't bootable, most are, but some aren't.

I've done that before. I'm sure that the disc was selected, but i restart and it wont boot of the disc. I've also tried a bunch of key combinations while restarting, but they didnt work. It's weird, because the dvd drive works fine. The dvd shows up on the desktop and i can click the install button. It asks me to restart and the installer is supposed to open after the restart, but it doesnt.

Could this be a problem with the firewire cable? Its the 4 to 6 pin that came with the dvd drive

Put the disc in and restart holding the Option key down and see if it gives you a choice of selecting that disc. It takes awhile to get the screen doing this way.

Unlikely you have a bad cable since it reads discs.

My guess, bad disc or a drive that's not bootable.

if this drive isnt bootable, do you know if there are any other ways to install 10.4? It seemed like this was one of the only dvd drives that work with macs.

ok, i guess ill try that. thanks. hopefully that will work.

Also, do you know of any other dvd players other than idvd which i obviously dont have?

Back