Installing a 2nd hard drive

bonzo65

Registered
r - this will be my primary disk but I need to be able to access all my files on the old drive.

Being somewhat 'technically challenged' could any kind person give me a bit of advice or provide a link that will show me how to do this please? I've obtained a QT movie showing how to install a new drive but I'm not sure how to install the second one and set it up\0how to do this please? I've obtained a QT movie showing how to install a new drive but I'm not sure how to install the second one and set it up\0Sr - this will be my primary disk but I need to be able to access all my files on the old drive.

Being somewhat 'technically ch

first message is supposed to read...

sorry if this has been covered before (I can't seem to get the search function to work)

I need to install a second hard drive in my old G4 tower - this will be my primary disk but I need to be able to access all my files on the old drive.

Being somewhat 'technically challenged' could any kind person give me a bit of advice or provide a link that will show me how to do this please? I've obtained a QT movie showing how to install a new drive but I'm not sure how to install the second one and set it up.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Ta very much

Steve

G4 733 Quicksilver OSX 10.2.8
New Maxtor 80Gb IDE Hard Drive

thanks Bob, but I can only find info on installing a single drive.

I'm guessing the second drive would sit on top of the carrier and connect to the spare connectors on the ATA and power cables? Does it matter which way round they go? Can I then set this up in the disk utilty (RAID?)

Thanks in advance for any help

steve

Yes, the drive in there now probably has a U bracket on it. Put the second drive on that bracket, and there will be a Power cable and IDE connector available to plug it into. If the IDE cable in there only has one connector, you'll need to get an IDE cable with the three plugs.

The oriuginal drive, set the jumpers to Master, and the second drive to Slave.

Doesn't matter wihich is which.

Open Disk Utility and then it's Help Menu and type Raid in the search box. It will give you the info.

Hi there

finally got around to installing the second drive - I have it connected OK (I think) with the new drive set to master and the old formatted drive set to slave. I thought I would be able to boot from the OSX CD to install on the new drive but I'm only getting a blank grey screen.

Help!! (like I said...technically challenged!)

thanks in advance

Steve

ok...

solved the grey screen problem. I have disconnected the old disk for the time being and am trying to install Jaguar on the new one. When I get to the 'select a destination' no disk appears in the window. I'm guessing I need to format it or something but I can see no options for this within the utility app. Not having had to do this from 'scratch' before I'm not sure what to do next...

sorry if this is a really basic question but any help would be greatly appreciated

steve

Back