Installing a 2nd Hard Drive

TEKKA

Registered
Hi, hope someone here can help me.

I have just ordered a second hard drive which is identical to the one that come already installed inside my G5 Powermac (Maxtor 6Y160M0).

From what ive seen in the manual, it seems quite straight forward to fit the hard drive.

I'd just like to know is, once the hard drive is fitted is there any applications i'll have to run to get it working, or will it work straight away?

thanks in advance for any info!

Not knowing, at a minimum, your model Mac and installed System / MacOS X (others should not have to look into ones past posts, if such exist, to determine such) ... the following is based on MacOS X 10.4.

Since there is no mention of the desire to partition the new hard disk drive, hdd, ...

Launch 'Disk Utility'.
Locate and click on the new hdd in the left side list.
Click the 'Erase' tab, select either 'Mac OS Extended' or 'Mac OS Extended (journaled)' (preferred) from the 'Volume Format:' popup menu, enter a name for the new hdd (this is optional, since one can do this anytime later - when i 'Finder'), and click on the 'Erase' button.

Thanks very much for the info! ;)

One more question. What does partitioning a hard drive do, and what are the advantages?

I use my mac mainly for use with Logic Pro 7. So eventually i would like to transfer all my exiting audio files, and new onto the new hard drive and the old one for applications.

For partitioning explanations, procedures, etc. view these two web sites - 1, and 2.

In your case of two internal hard disk drives, hdd - I see no need to / for partitioning either hdd.

I have an external Firewire drive which is partitioned, where most of each partition has a different version of MacOS X (10.2, 10.3.4, 10.3.8, 10.3.9, and 10.4.2 - each partition being 9 GB), plus a 9 GB for installing a test version of MacOS X, and the last partition of > 175 GB for data. My Mac's internal hdds are not partitioned. I typically place most third party software on the non-boot drive.

Back