Installing apps as admin

cticompserv

Registered
I have about four years experience with Linux but recently started Mac OS support and I'm still trying to work around some of the crippled parts of OS X.

I have some users who need Adobe updates that have to be run as the local admin. Is it possible to run the updater as admin without logging off the user? I tried running the command as the admin (su adminuser) from the CLI but got a message saying the updater has to be run as a user with administrative rights.

Thanks in advance.

Kent

In the installer's authentication dialog box, type the username and password of an administrative account.

The Adobe Updater isn't made to work the way I want. I tried 'su admin' to run the updater from the CL and also tried 'su root.' In both cases it starts to run and then I get the message that it must be run with administrator rights. Apparently something in the updater gets passed back to the user, causing the error.

I guess what I want is the equivalent of Windows' 'Run As...' command.

I did discover that I can switch users and log in as admin to run the updates, but that still isn't what I think should be available.

Kent

Back