Installing developer tools

ajmas

Registered
I have just tried installing the developer tools and was refused because I have to be administrator, which is strange since I am clearly listed as admin in the users control panel.

Any ideas?

Turns out that you have to click on the padlock on the bottom of the window so that it prompts you for the password. Userbility issue anyone?

IIRC on the bottom of the installer window it clearly says YOU NEED AN ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD TO INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE

And many OSX utilties work this way (system prefs, netinfo). So, not really a usability issue IMO

You should log in as root to install Developer.pkg. Don't just enter an administrator password. The installation will proceed to 1/2 way and simply stop. The dialog will remain, but the software will never completely install.

If you log in as root, it'll almost completely finish the installation but not quite. At 1/2 minute remaining it'll stop installing. There has been lots of debate (here and on Apple's discussion boards) but no real answers yet.

Originally posted by CerealKiller
You should log in as root to install Developer.pkg. Don't just enter an administrator password. The installation will proceed to 1/2 way and simply stop. The dialog will remain, but the software will never completely install.

If you log in as root, it'll almost completely finish the installation but not quite. At 1/2 minute remaining it'll stop installing. There has been lots of debate (here and on Apple's discussion boards) but no real answers yet.

I installed it as my admin user not as root. It installed just fine no problems whatsoever.

mine went almost all the way, hung, i was busy tring to stop my chawawa from pissing on the carpet and getting something to eat, so i left it there for a while.. came back, still siting. Force Quit the installer, took a look...

and the install had finished :)

so the tools were installed and the installer had crashed...
~Z~

In the installation window. click on the "lock", then the computer ask for username and password, and it worked good in my mac

there's a bug in the installer where if you have a space in your password it wont work, and some bizarre thing about having a 256MB DIMM installed will make it not work also

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have 9.1 and 10 installed on the same partition with no problems. i read on www.mosr.com that installing the dev tools stuff makes the system faster, so I went to do that, but I can't access the disk. i can't start up off it either. Bad disk?

Remember I said mine installed fine and I have a 356 MB DIMM. I don't know why it worked for me but it did.

I guess I'm just lucky :).

>Milestone 400th post<

the install went smooth for me. I clicked on the lock and entered my admin password (not root)

Only thing I don't understand was the "optimizing system performance." I did the install on a 233mhz powerbook with 160meg and didn't play around much before installing dev tools so I didn't see if there was any difference in system performance before vs after the optimization.

After the dev tools install it was slow anyway(window dragging resizing) but I didnt really expect much on a 233.

Has anyone noticed any speed impovements after installing dev tools?

FWIW I haven't used any build of OSX *without* dev tools since they were first posted last October, and I haven't seen any of the slowness people are complaining about.

Back