Installing EPSON Color 3000 PPD on 10.5 Leopard

Tennant

Registered
Have just upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, but I can no longer access the print driver for our EPSON Stylus Color 3000 using the Epson StylusRIP. I can see the RIP server ok and it has installed as a printer. However neither of the two PPDs it finds (Gutenprint v5.1.3 and Gimp-Print v5.0.0-beta2) work...I think these are the native drivers rather than Postscript!

I have a copy of the PPD from the 10.4 installation (EPSON StylusCOLOR3000 v3010.106) but cannot install it. Regardless of where I put it when I try and select it with Driver>Other, it is always greyed out even though all the other PPDs are ok. Have even tried compressing it into a .gz file but it is still greyed out.

The only difference I can see is the file permissions, all the other .gz files have a Read&write permission for both "System" and "Admin", whereas my driver doesn't. However I can find no way to assign these users to my PPD file. This of course may be completely irrevelant. In fact if I copy my PPD to the desktop plus some of the other gz files from Library>Printers>PPDs>Contents>Resources, they lose the System and Admion users, yet I can still select those drivers but not mine!

Any ideas much appreciated!

Tennant

Have created a temporary workaround...have brought an old Mac back into service with Tiger 10.4 running on it that hapilly lets me install the correct PPD. I then share that printer on the network and all the 10.5 machines can print via the 10.4 mac to the rip server to the SC3000. Not exactly an elegant solution, and not very energy efficient having another Mac switched on all day just to spool the ocassional print file.

If anyone has suggestions for the correct solution, they'll be much appreciated.

Tennant

Despite both Epson and Apple's technical support saying that there is no solution under OS X 10.5, I have got it working!

The problem was that the Mac version of the PPD file contains some illegal characters (as confirmed using the PPD checker at www.cups.org). The solution therefore was to use the Windows NT version of the PPD file from the EPSON StylusRip CD...Leopard happily accepts this and everything is now printing perfectly (when I saw perfectly, I mean the same as 10.4...there are still positioning issues with InDesign CS3, but that's another story!)

Tennant

I am having the same problem. So I figured I would give it a shot. I don't have the CD so I downloaded the NT version form Epson' web site. But how do I extract the PPD from a .exe file?

I am having the same problem. So I figured I would give it a shot. I don't have the CD so I downloaded the NT version form Epson' web site. But how do I extract the PPD from a .exe file?

The PPD file is just a text file on the CD.

Tennant

Would you be so kind as to email me that text file? Otherwise, I am thinking of either reverting to Tiger or buying an old mac just to print from. I really don't have the money for that. Thanks. jfrazier33@mac.om

Despite both Epson and Apple's technical support saying that there is no solution under OS X 10.5, I have got it working!

Congratulations. I just upgraded to Leopard and my 3000 is idle at the moment. Would you mind sharing the file you mentioned and some instructions on its installation? It would be greatly appreciated. My email address is thevoys@telusplanetnet.net

Thank you.

The problem was that the Mac version of the PPD file contains some illegal characters (as confirmed using the PPD checker at www.cups.org). The solution therefore was to use the Windows NT version of the PPD file from the EPSON StylusRip CD...Leopard happily accepts this and everything is now printing perfectly (when I saw perfectly, I mean the same as 10.4...there are still positioning issues with InDesign CS3, but that's another story!)

Tennant

The PPD file is just a text file on the CD.

Tennant

Tennant,
You are clearly ahead of the rest of us. Can you send the PPD file with info on how to achieve this workaround? My original Epson RIP disc is so old, it's pre-NT-- it's for Windows '95/'98 and Mac 3.0. I'd love to be able to use my Stylus Color 3000 with Leopard. I'm dianne@mindspring.com. Many thanks.

The Epson Stylus COLOR 3000 is supported by Gutenprint. Its original vendor-supplied driver is advertised by Epson as not compatible with Leopard. The printer is not among those listed by Epson as having a Leopard driver in development. Go with Gutenprint.

Tennant,
You are clearly ahead of the rest of us. Can you send the PPD file with info on how to achieve this workaround? My original Epson RIP disc is so old, it's pre-NT-- it's for Windows '95/'98 and Mac 3.0. I'd love to be able to use my Stylus Color 3000 with Leopard. I'm dianne@mindspring.com. Many thanks.

Hi! I have the same problem with you with my Epson Stylus Color 3000 on Mac OS X Leopard. I really appreciate and very thankfull with your help. Can you you please help me on how to work it out?

Sincerely,
yhenfacs

I am right in the same spot as the rest of you. I am having problems with wireless printing on 10.5.2 $ the Epson RX595. If you are mailing a solution to anyone, please include me! kchok@mac.com. Many thanks, Karen

Hi I just bought leopard but am waiting to upgrade. I have a silk screen shop and use epson 3000 to output all my films. I cannot work without this printer! but would love to use leopard... Could someone please post the instructions for downloading and installing the correct PPD file? I'll give you a free T-Shirt or Hoodie!!!

PrintFab is a suite of commercial CUPS drivers. The suite is available as a free download with a 30-day free trial. PrintFab supports your printer. You may find it here.

Hi There, i am in the same situation with regards printing from The Epson Stylus color 3000. I was running a G4 with OSX10.3.9 for ages and when i finally got the chance to get a new machine it never occurred to me that i wouldn't be able to use the printer. I am completely non technical and while i understand the gist of your post I am at a loss as how to achieve it. Can you help me please? I would be extremely grateful. Thanks

@Tennant: Which PPD was it? Could you please be more specific?
EP_30003.PPD or EP_STPH3.PPD ?
(I'm assuming its the EP_30003.PPD as the EP_STPH3.PPD might be the Epson Stylus Photo)

I am not sure if Epson would like me posting the file and if there are any legal issues. But I have the PPD dated from 3/17/1999 off the last Stylus Rip CD update 1.3 (Version 4.10 MAC and Version 2.02 for Win95/98/NT)

I have just downloaded the Gutenprint 5.2 drivers, and my Epson SC3000 is now working fine on an Intel Mac using 10.5.2. Just a little tweaking needed to saturate the colours.

Back