installing latex

mmnoname

Registered
Hi, I installed the mactex basictex package on my system. Everything works fine until I try to put in a integral into my document. When I preview the document lyx tells me that I'm missing esint.sty. I download the package that is suppose to install this for me from http://www.biwako.shiga-u.ac.jp/sensei/kumazawa/tex/esint.html

then I type in the command
LaTeX esint.ins
it runs for a bit but then tells me
I can't find the format file `LaTeX.fmt'!

Can someone please help me install this?

Thank you

What field are you studying?

Are you doing original documents or are you trying to replicate an earlier work?

I ask these questions because I have never seen 80% of the integral symbols in Eddie Saudrais's esint.sty library. Unless you have very special needs, then you will not need symbols beyond those in the standard TeX symbol set. If you use the non-standard symbols, then you must define each in your document.

I was thinking it was pretty odd not to include simple integral symbols in basictex. I'm not trying to do anything too fancy but my editr "lyx" tells me I have an error if I include \int in the text.

is there anything else I could put int to make it render the symbol?

Several things:
  • I notice that the unusual integral symbols that you are looking for are used in LyX. I repeat my previous comment that I have never seen them in the wild.
  • I created a small test document in LyX to see if the symbols would be created properly. They were. The document was also converted to PDF and printed directly to my PostScript printer. Everything worked correctly.
  • You refer to something called "basictex." I have no idea what that means. MacTeX installs teTeX, a LaTeX backend that is used by most other MacOS X TeX applications including LyX. I know of no way to screw-up the MacTeX installation. LyX, however, requires a two-fold installation. The inescapable conclusion is that you have an incomplete installation of LyX. An installer application installs the required libraries. The LyX front-end is a drag-and-drop installation. It can be located anywhere.
Reinstall LyX, but do it properly this time.

basictex is a minimal package of mactex found on their website. I didn't want to install 700mb just so I could write math symbols. when I type \int in lyx the symbol does show up on the screen but it won't render it in any format afterwards giving me that error. I assume I need to include esint.sty file somewhere but I don't know where or how

... (I have ITeXMac, but it seems it does not work on Leopard, so it might be I will try either BasicTeX or MacTeX).
iTeXMac has been obsolete for years. It was replaced by iTeXMac2, which I have yet to figure out. However, TeXShop is the MacOS X TeX front-end of choice. TeXShop is so much faster than iTeXMac that it is not funny. If you don't like TeXShop, then you might find TeXMaker to be more to your liking. This application is compiled against Trolltech's Qt frameworks.

... I didn't want to install 700mb just so I could write math symbols. ...
At the risk of repeating myself:
  • The installation of MacTeX with the standard installation of LyX does what you want.
  • Upwards of 80% of the integral symbols in the esint.sty style sheet are non-standard. It makes perfect sense to exclude this style sheet from a minimal installation of LaTeX.
  • You may find a way to download MacTeX and install it [and LyX] on your Mac and go merrily on your way or you may continue to whine. The choice is yours.

I tried to install MacTeX, but installation stopped since it has not access to "/" (what ever that means; since I am the system owner I have access to everything, right?). I installed gwTeX, and it works fine (however, check my posting on .zshrc file).

I tried to install MacTeX, but installation stopped since it has not access to "/" (what ever that means; ...
That "/" is the known as the "root" directory. Its owner is root, the highest privileged user on any Unix system. Root access is not required to install MacTeX. Its installer must be authenticated by an administrative user. After that, it just works.

I agree Mactex is huge, but it's just the way it is I guess. Unless you're a very experienced LaTeX user, it's best to stick to the default packages since you never know what package depends on what.

I agree Mactex is huge, but it's just the way it is I guess. Unless you're a very experienced LaTeX user, it's best to stick to the default packages since you never know what package depends on what.

that is true but all the other symbols I need come with the basictex. The only one I'm missing is the integral. It seems like a waste installing 700 mb for an integral sign so I just do it on my pc.

Back