Installing leopard

ultimatermashed

Registered
God i feel like im going to kill myself.

I have a macbook intel and an old flat panel imac g4 with 800mhz (i think i have NO original documentation and don't know how to find the specifications.)

I wiped the drive on the imac g4 clean so there is no operating system on it.

I have an installation cd for mac osx leopard that i got from the box of the intel macbook, and I'm trying to run that on the imac g4 flat panel.

The memory on the flat panel is 763mb so im trying to figure out if the cd is specifically for the laptop or im doing something wrong.

Everyone is running around talking about universal binary this and hacking the leopard installer that, and "oh you can hack your open firemware" i've done all of the tricks, with the firemware getting it to the specific cpu clockspeed but that didn't work.

I used terminal to hack a disk img. (didn't use a sparse image because it was too big to burn on my feeble ass cd roms), and changed the distribution file in the OSInstall.mpkg and restored the altered image to 1 individual partition on my maxtor 500gb hardrive and booted from the partition on my imac g4 after changing the clock speed on the open firemware and STILL after all this bullshit "THIS SOFTWARE CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THIS COMPUTER".

Now im about to go on ebay and try to find a decent version of mac osx tiger because im getting particularly fed up with doing all this work for a freakin operating system, and the only thing keeping me anchored to this endeavor are the constant tauntings of youtubers with their flatpanel booting this operating system while there comments consist of nothing but brags and boasts without a hint or lick of insight as to HOW they managed to accomplish this impossible task.

Am I doing this wrong or should i just stop wasting my time and just buy tiger? I mean is leopard worth going through all this trouble just to save a few measly dollars?

If so can someone please do me a godsend and walk me through what Im doing WRONG!!!!

Thank you

I have an installation cd for mac osx leopard that i got from the box of the intel macbook, and I'm trying to run that on the imac g4 flat panel.

The memory on the flat panel is 763mb so im trying to figure out if the cd is specifically for the laptop. . . .

It is.

--J.D.

first off I agree with Doctor X, you probably looking at the grey CD that came with your mac. That is the system restore disk. its mac-specific so it'll only run with the mac that came with it. I suggest you purchase leopard from ebay. Must get the retail version(the black one)if your system meets the min. requirements then your good to go http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

The discs that came with that MacBook are bound to install only on the same generation f MacBooks it was shipped with - there is no way those discs will work for installing OS X on your iMac - just like the iMac install discs won't work for installing the software on your MacBook.
What you need to do is
1. Keep ALWAYS track of the install media that comes with the Macs for situations like this (and for selling the Mac later etc etc) - make a backup disc if it makes your life easier. but those discs are valuable AND you will need them
2. Purchase a retail copy of Mac OS X for your iMac - it will be black discs, never gray
3. Install more RAM - anything under 1 GB is just slow with 10.5.

Back