Installing Mac OS 9.2 from Mac OS X

jnmaas

Registered
I'm guessing it can't be done, but is there any way to install Mac os 9.2 from Mac os 10.4? I need to have SOME version of Classic installed in order to run applications that don't work in os X. I just erased and reinstalled Tiger, so I could easily reinstall it again if I have to in order to install mac os 9 first, if that's the way to do it.

I have the following software:

Mac OS 9.2.1
Mac OS X 10.1
Mac OS X 10.2 Install discs 1 and 2
Mac OS X 10.4 Install DVD

Am I missing something essential? Or is it possible to install classic somehow with what I have at my disposal? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!
Jake

Yes, you can install 9.2.x from OS X. The install package for 9.2.x is on the DVD for 10.4, or one of the other DVDs or CDs that came with it.

Just poke around those discs to find it and double-click to install it. Should take less than 5 minutes.

That's only true if 10.4 came with the computer, Mike. Classic is _not_ part of Tiger, it's part of the software that comes with the computer.

I just did a regular install of OS 9 with the OS 9 CD on bootup. Then, in OS X, I select the os 9 system folder as my classic folder.

fryke said:
That's only true if 10.4 came with the computer, Mike. Classic is _not_ part of Tiger, it's part of the software that comes with the computer.

Not to quibble, but Classic does come with Tiger on the install DVDs when you buy a new Mac; if you already had a Mac and buy a standalone box of Tiger, then it doesn't.

So, it really depends on which type of Mac you want to install Classic on--if it's capable of booting in OS 9, then he should be able to wipe out Tiger and install from the OS 9 CD, then go back and install Tiger after that without any hassle. If it won't boot in OS 9, then he should be able to leave Tiger on his hard drive and use the OS 9 install CD to install it now.

erh... That's what I said. Your first paragraph, I mean.

Your second paragraph, however, is simply not true. If a Mac is too new, i.e. you can't boot from OS 9, then you can't install OS 9 from the OS 9 install CD but have to use the installation media that came with the computer and install the Classic package.

Back