Installing Mac OSX

NoMoreSecrets

Registered
I have heard that it is better to install OSX and OS9 on seperate partitions, will two seperate hard drives do the same job?

Should I format the OSX side to UFS+ and the OS9 side to HFS+?

If so will I still be able to share files such as movies (mpeg's) between the two drives and OS's?

Will doing this allow me to boot in OSX or OS9 seperately if I wish and also run classic from OS9?

Will both operating systems be able to see both drives even though they are formatted differently from within the Finder?

All love the look of OSX and all the suggestions of what it will do but some of the Unix terminology and discussion makes it confusing, I have pre-ordered my copy anyways, hope you can help.

Originally posted by NoMoreSecrets
I have heard that it is better to install OSX and OS9 on seperate partitions, will two seperate hard drives do the same job?

It should but I have heard that OS X will not boot off a slave drive so be careful which drive you install on.

Should I format the OSX side to UFS+ and the OS9 side to HFS+?

Thats up to you. See below.

If so will I still be able to share files such as movies (mpeg's) between the two drives and OS's?

OS X can read both formats however OS 9 can not so you can share files if you place them on the HFS+ drive.

Will doing this allow me to boot in OSX or OS9 seperately if I wish and also run classic from OS9?

You can boot between the two OS's but Classic has problems on UFS formatted drives. Search the forum for this because I remember seeing somewhere that Classic would not work on UFS drives.

Will both operating systems be able to see both drives even though they are formatted differently from within the Finder?

OS 9 will not see the UFS drive.

All love the look of OSX and all the suggestions of what it will do but some of the Unix terminology and discussion makes it confusing, I have pre-ordered my copy anyways, hope you can help.

Hope this is helpful :),

Thank You for your kind replies, this helps, as I am not a really up on UNIX, I will probably install OSX and classic on a single HFS+ drive.

Again, Many Thanks

Originally posted by NoMoreSecrets
I will probably install OSX and classic on a single HFS+ drive.

Good idea. UFS will just cause you problems because it doesn't support resource forks. This means that Classic apps and OS 9 itself will not work on a UFS drive. Plus your OS 9 system won't be able to see it. I've had OS X installed on a second HFS+ drive with OS 9 on the other and i've had no problems. As VGZ said make sure you install Os x on the drive that came with your mac and make sure it is the master drive. These problems should disappear by the time the final comes out, they're probably due to the lack of drivers, meaning that the only way to be sure it'll work is to install it on the drive you know OS X has good, bug free drivers for ie. the original drive.

peter

I installed OS X on my former linux partition (1.3Gb). I had it formated to HFS+ and installed OS 9.0.4 before I installed X so that I could have classic on it ;)

Small discreet quetion to all you mac-o-philes out there that know more than me on this.... apple has foreign file access, and one can access ISO9660 volumes...why did they (apple) not include support for UNIX file systems ?!

Admiral

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
why did they (apple) not include support for UNIX file systems ?!

which unix filesystems are you refering to? OS X supports UFS which is Unix File System. Ok, now to agree with you: they need to provide support for the linux filesystem, which I assume is what you're refering to? It's silly to have to use dos disks to carry files from a linux box to a macosx box, after all, they have more in common with each other than they have with windows.

peter

Good idea. UFS will just cause you problems because it doesn't support resource forks. This
means that Classic apps and OS 9 itself will not work on a UFS drive.

I haven't tried it, but I've read that Classic *will* work on UFS, it just can't start up for the *first time* off a UFS volume. I leave it to some more adventurous soul than I to confirm or deny

Back