Installing MySQL

Agent mosquito

Registered
so i downloaded the binary distro for MySQL on X, but i can't seem to get it installed where it needs to go...most of the help docs that came with it seem to be the default set, and the commands don't see to take in a terminal (it doesn't surprise me though)....on my SuSE box MySQL is installed in /usr/bin and i would assume that if i want all users to be able to use it, i should put it in the same place?

or is there a better place with X to put it?....regardless i can't see to get anything into the "hidden dirs"....just wondering if someone has installed MySQL.....adding user mysql can be done though the netinfo or user window i think...if not i guess i'll have to find out what Apple's command line options are for adding users from the CLI...

thanks in advance...
-drew

i was under the impression that mySQL was available for os X server...not os X that may be your problem

I didn't think there was any difference between the two OSes other than one comes with server administration tools...such as DHCP, AppleShareIP and the ability to share internet connections.
Am I wrong?

yes there is a big differnce between osx and osxs as mentioned on mysql page, most of the osx server refers to the old version that is the ancestor of osx and not the to be realeased version that is os x with server tools (probably mysql)

i believe you are correct that the next os x server is os x final with a bunch of admin tools...but if you see software and it says it is for os x server, don't expect it to run on os x.

Originally posted by Agent mosquito
so i downloaded the binary distro for MySQL on X, but i can't seem to get it installed where it needs to go...most of the help docs that came with it seem to be the default set, and the commands don't see to take in a terminal (it doesn't surprise me though)....on my SuSE box MySQL is installed in /usr/bin and i would assume that if i want all users to be able to use it, i should put it in the same place?

thanks in advance...
-drew

I realize your post was made quite a while ago but I just stumbled upon it and perhaps you're still looking to install mySQL. The best intstructions for getting it installed (along with Apache and PHP) that I've found thus far is at http://www.macphp.net/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=5&t=5.

It helped me and I'm currently running mySQL (and it's available to all users) on OS X 10.0.3.

Cheers,
Ali

when installing the mysql package referenced in the devshed article i get:

The Installer Package "MySQL 3.23.28 Gamma" Cannot be opened.

Mission or old Bill Of Materials.

Any ideas???

I don't remember there was any mention to a gamma version.
Anyway, other people have applied the same recipe with the latest versions of mysql, apache and php on OS 10.0.4.
But there is a problem with the Devshed installation, or should I say with the fact of having installed Mysql once, successfully or not: you cannot redo the installation without removing all the stuffs installed or modified. I always missed one or another file somewhere (there is not list of what is installed or modified available). Consequently, a new installation does not work and you get the message "unable to connect to the sock" when starting Mysql. Being not a unixoid, I had to reinstall the OS....:O(((
It seems from the fora that I was not alone to face such a pleasure.

Back