Installing new RAM in an iMac G5 isight

RickyMac

Registered
I bought a 512Mb RAM module from cruicial and fit it easily into my new imac but the computer does not detect it. Is it because I should have bought official apple memory or what? The specs of the memory are exactly as outlined on apple.com. Can anyone point me in the right direction? and yes I have tried taking it out and putting it back in.

Cheers

Ricky

When you ordered from crucial, did you use their thing that asks you what computer you have? It should be gaurenteed from them to work then..

Yeah I did, its definately the same specs as the memory that apple sell and half the price but I read somewhere that apple dont condone the use of non-official RAM but I dont know if thats because its harmful to the machine or because they want you to buy theirs.

Ricky

RAM is RAM, but not all RAM is equal. Stick with the well-known brand names like Crucial, Kingston, and even some of the well-known memory sticks that many of the PC enthusiasts use (as they are of high quality). NEVER get cheap (as in quality, which unfrotunately tends to reflect in the price) memory otherwise you'll end up with problems.

when i added ram into this machine, it didn't work at first. it was becuase it wasn't seated properly. it really does need a good push.

Back