Installing openLDAP

BostonMacOSX

Registered
Well this process has been amazingly horrendous. I would like to make contact with someone who has successfully installed openLDAP on their OSX box. Even using fink I can't get it to install.

I have a secure SSL Apache server and want to allow LDAP authentication. I also wan to mirror our businesses LDAP server as a back up for them.

Thanks in advance
BostonMACOSX

I don't know anyone who has successfully installed OpenLDAP. I always get something broken having to do with threads. Quite annoying.

-Rob

I did it :D

You have to get the latest source code from the openldap CVS server.
That built and tested just fine (I did it a couple of months ago under
10.0.x).

The officially released tarball does fail miserably on the threads stuff.

I did install from the CVS and it failed as normal. Could you post some simple instructions from how you achieved this so I can mimic your way and see if it is just a 10.1 flaw?

Thanks

sorry but I dont remember how exactly I did it but it wasn't any heroics.

The CVS version found the thread libraries properly and the compile went
smooth.

Where in Boston are you? I'm in Waltham. When I get into the office,
I can see if I can maybe tar up what I have for you but I may have cleaned
things up.

Hmm. Well, I live in Virginia, so that doesn't help. =)

So, 2.0.15 doesn't work? That was the latest release I tried. I don't think I can download the cvs from where I have an internet connection (NOT on my mac).

-Rob

And...

cc -fno-common -I../../include -I../../include -L/usr/local/src/pkg/ldap/libraries -o ltest test.o -lldap -llber -llutil -ldl
/bin/sh /usr/local/src/pkg/ldap/libtool --mode=link cc -fno-common -I../../include -I../../include -L/usr/local/src/pkg/ldap/libraries -o ttest tmpltest.o -lldap -llber -llutil -ldl
cc -fno-common -I../../include -I../../include -L/usr/local/src/pkg/ldap/libraries -o ttest tmpltest.o -lldap -llber -llutil -ldl
/bin/sh /usr/local/src/pkg/ldap/libtool --mode=link cc -fno-common -I../../include -I../../include -L/usr/local/src/pkg/ldap/libraries -o dntest dntest.o -lldap -llber -llutil -ldl
cc -fno-common -I../../include -I../../include -L/usr/local/src/pkg/ldap/libraries -o dntest dntest.o -lldap -llber -llutil -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_ldap_dn2ad_canonical
_ldap_dn2str
_ldap_rdn2str
_ldap_str2dn
_ldapava_free_dn
make[2]: *** [dntest] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-common] Error 1
make: *** [all-common] Error 1

-------
Excellent as Usual.

that stuff is NOT in the 2.0.18 release.

When I first tried openldap a few months ago, the released version (2.0.15 ?)
didn't support Darwin. Apparently, the newest release (18) does although
there are one or two tiny problems (the -fno-common problem)

cc -fno-common -I../../include -I../../include -L/usr/local/src/openldap-2.0.18/libraries -o slapd main.o daemon.o connection.o search.o filter.o add.o charray.o attr.o entry.o config.o backend.o result.o operation.o dn.o compare.o modify.o delete.o modrdn.o ch_malloc.o value.o ava.o bind.o unbind.o abandon.o filterentry.o phonetic.o acl.o str2filter.o aclparse.o init.o user.o repl.o lock.o controls.o extended.o kerberos.o passwd.o schema.o schema_check.o schema_init.o schema_prep.o schemaparse.o ad.o at.o mr.o syntax.o oc.o configinfo.o starttls.o index.o sets.o root_dse.o sasl.o module.o suffixalias.o mods.o version.o libbackends.a -lavl -lldbm -lldif -llutil -lldap_r -llber -ldb -lssl -lcrypto -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_ldap_pvt_tls_sb_ctx
/usr/bin/ld: warning unused multiple definitions of symbol _crypt
/usr/lib/libcrypto.dylib(fcrypt.o) definition of _crypt
/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib(crypt.o) unused definition of _crypt
make[2]: *** [slapd] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-common] Error 1
make: *** [all-common] Error 1
----

AS usual any ideas appreciated

I made a tarball for you.

anon ftp to ftp0.lsil.com
bin
cd pub
get openldap_macosx.tar.gz

you will not be able to 'ls' or 'dir'

The tarball should have everything you need. you want to put the
libdl.dylib in /usr/local/lib

The .tar.gz will auto-delete in a few days.

It seems to be working fine. I decieded to reinstall OSX and 2.0.;18 installed without problem. Know of any good LDAP browsers/editors? Don;t want to go the LDIF method everytime.

Thanks again for all you help.

Robert

Back